Button excavated at a Revolutionary War military camp
Overall: 7/8 in. ( 2.2 cm )
This button was excavated by Reginald P. Bolton and others on 170th St., within the area of a military camp that extended west of Broadway between 168th and 171st Streets. Built after the surrender of Fort Washington by American forces on November 16, 1776, the camp was occupied by British and Hessian troops until evacuation in 1783. The button was probably worn on a coat or cloak.
Gift of the Washington Headquarters Association, Daughters of the American Revolution, 1947
Due to ongoing research, information about this object is subject to change.