Update

Visitors ages 12 and older are required to show proof of vaccination against COVID-19. Learn more >

Button excavated at Fort Washington

Object Number: 
INV.6200.346
Date: 
1760-1783
Medium: 
Brass
Dimensions: 
Overall: 7/8 in. ( 2.2 cm )
Description: 
Brass button; thin face and back with hollow center; back pierced with four holes.
Gallery Label: 
This button was excavated on May 20th or 21st, 1922 by the Field Exploration Committee at Fort Washington. Built by the Continental Army in the summer of 1776, the fort extended west along 183rd Street from Fort Washington Avenue to Pinehurst Avenue. The fort was captured on November 16, 1776 by British and Hessian forces, and was occupied by them until 1783. The button was probably worn on a coat belonging to a British or Hessian soldier stationed at the fort.
Due to ongoing research, information about this object is subject to change.
Creative: Tronvig Group