Button excavated at Fort Haldimand
Overall: 1 in. ( 2.5 cm )
Brass button excavated at Fort Haldimand; broken in half.
This button was excavated by the Field Exploration Committee from a refuse pit at Fort Haldimand, a British fort on Carleton Island in the St. Lawrence River in New York, just below the Canadian border. Built in 1779, the fort commanded passage of the river and was retained by the British until its destruction by American forces in 1812. The button was worn by a British or Loyalist soldier.
Due to ongoing research, information about this object is subject to change.