Overall: 7/8 in. ( 2.2 cm )
Gilt and bone button; thin gilt face with stamped floral design glued over bone back.
This button was excavated by the Field Exploration Committee at a military camp on the Colonial Dyckman farm, at 204th Street between Seaman and Payson Avenues in Washington Heights, Manhattan. Built after the surrender of Fort Washington by American forces on November 16, 1776, the camp was occupied by British and Hessian troops until evacuation in 1783. The button may have been worn by a civilian or an officer.
Due to ongoing research, information about this object is subject to change.