Buckle excavated at West Point
Overall: 2 3/4 x 1 1/4 x 1/8 in. ( 7 x 3.2 x 0.3 cm )
Brass buckle excavated at West Point; rectangular frame with chape.
This buckle was excavated by the Field Exploration Committee from a refuse pit near the nineteenth-century barracks at West Point, a series of barracks and forts built in Orange County, New York by the Continental Army in 1777. West Point was built to control the Hudson River, and to guard the Hudson Highlands from an attack by the British Army stationed in New York City. The buckle was probably worn on a soldier's waist-belt.
Due to ongoing research, information about this object is subject to change.