British officer's Fusil, flint lock musket: inscribed
Wood, iron, brass
Overall: 52 in. ( 132.1 cm ) Part (barrel): 36 3/8 in. (92.4 cm)
stamped: lockplate tail: "TOWER" (Tower of London arsenal); barrel: "GR" (crown above mark and arrow below; Royal Armory barrel proof) incised: ramrod channel: "TUCKER EL VI" (these are the initials of the stock maker, and the assembly number) engraved:
Wood, iron, and brass flintlock fusil; brass furniture with three flowers atop name engraved inside scroll on escutcheon plate; bayonet lug at muzzle; stamped mark at tail of lockplate; stamped proofs at breech end of barrel; incised name inside ramrod channel.
During the French and Indian War, officers in both armies began to replace the polearms that they had traditionally carried with fusils. Fusils were shortened muskets that were privately made for officers, as opposed to the longer government-owned muskets that were issued to enlisted men, and by the 1770's had replaced polearms as the British officer's personal weapon. This fusil was used by the donor's great-great grandfather, Issac McComb, at the Battle of Princeton on January 2, 1777.
Gift of Helen A. Collingwood
Due to ongoing research, information about this object is subject to change.