British military coat button excavated in New York City
Overall: 7/8 in. ( 2.2 cm )
stamped: (5), on front: "3 G" (3rd Coldstream Guards)
Pewter military coat button; regiment emblem in center on front; enclosed inside a starburst and cross; number and letter of emblem are separated by a thistle.
This button was excavated in the vicinity of Fort George by Reginald P. Bolton, William L. Calver, and others before the formation of the Field Exploration Committee in 1918. Built in 1781, the fort extended between Audobon and Amsterdam Avenues and 192nd and 193rd Streets in Washington Heights. The button was worn by a private of the Coldstream Guards who was camped near the fort. They were stored as part of the Reginald P. Bolton Collection in the Jumel Mansion.
Gift of the Washington Headquarters Association, Daughters of the American Revolution, 1947
Due to ongoing research, information about this object is subject to change.