British military coat button excavated in New York City
Overall: 1 in. ( 2.5 cm )
stamped: (8), on front: "35" (35th Regiment)
Pewter military coat button; regiment number in center on front.
This button was excavated in the vicinity of Fort George by Reginald P. Bolton, William L. Calver, and others before the formation of the Field Exploration Committee in 1918. Built in 1781, the fort extended between Audobon and Amsterdam Avenues and 192nd and 193rd Streets in Washington Heights. The button was worn by a private of the 35th Regiment who was camped near the fort.
Gift of the Washington Headquarters Association, Daughters of the American Revolution, 1947
Due to ongoing research, information about this object is subject to change.