British military buttons (4) excavated in New York City
largest: 7/8 in. ( 2.2 cm )
stamped: (1-4), on front: "57" (57th British Regiment)
Pewter military buttons; regiment number in center on front; roped border design.
These buttons were excavated in the vicinity of Fort George by Reginald P. Bolton, William L. Calver, and others before the formation of the Field Exploration Committee in 1918. Built in 1781, the fort extended between Audobon and Amsterdam Avenues and 192nd and 193rd Streets in Washington Heights. The buttons were worn by privates of the 57th Regiment; three (Nos. 1-3) of the buttons were worn on coats. They were stored as part of the Reginald P. Bolton Collection in the Jumel Mansion.
Gift of the Washington Headquarters Association, Daughters of the American Revolution, 1947
Due to ongoing research, information about this object is subject to change.