British military buttons (3) excavated in Canada
largest: 5/8 in. ( 1.6 cm )
stamped: (13-14), on front: "1ST . A/OR . QUEENS RANGERS" (Queens Rangers, or 1st American Regiment) stamped: (15), on front: "1ST . A/OR QUEENS RANGERS"; on back: "NUTTING/COVENT GARDEN..."
Pewter military buttons; inscribed emblem of corps in center is enclosed by a border of wreaths surmounted by a British crown; name of corps inscribed at bottom.
These buttons were excavated by the Field Exploration Committee in Ontario, Canada along the Niagara River near Fort George, a British fort built in 1795. The buttons were worn by privates of the Queens Rangers, a Loyalist corps recruited in New York by British Captain John Simcoe in 1776. The Rangers were given the title of First American Regiment in 1779, and were maintained by the British in Canada until their disbandment in 1802.
Due to ongoing research, information about this object is subject to change.