British military button excavated in New York City
Overall: 1/2 in. ( 1.3 cm )
stamped: (6), on front: "76" (76th British Regiment, McDonald Highlanders)
Pewter military button; regiment number in center on front inside circle border.
This button was excavated in the vicinity of Fort George by Reginald P. Bolton, William L. Calver, and others before the formation of the Field Exploration Committee in 1918. Built in 1781, the fort extended between Audubon and Amsterdam Avenues and 192nd and 193rd Streets in Washington Heights. The button was worn by a private of the 76th McDonald Highlanders who was camped near the fort. Recruited from northwest Scotland, the regiment arrived in New York in 1779.
Gift of the Washington Headquarters Association, Daughters of the American Revolution, 1947
Due to ongoing research, information about this object is subject to change.