British military button excavated at Fort Washington
Overall: 1/2 in. ( 1.3 cm )
stamped: (92), on front: "54" (54th Regiment)
Pewter military button; regiment number on front.
This button was excavated in 1923 by the Field Exploration Committee from a refuse pit outside the south ramparts of Fort Washington. Built by the Continental Army in the summer of 1776, the fort extended west along 183rd Street from Fort Washington Avenue to Pinehurst Avenue. The fort was captured on November 16, 1776 by British and Hessian forces, and was occupied by them until 1783. The button was worn on the uniform of a British private.
Due to ongoing research, information about this object is subject to change.