British military button excavated at Fort George
Overall: 1/2 in. ( 1.3 cm )
Bronze military button; dome-shaped and hollow; design of three cannons on front inside shield border; looped fastener on back.
This button was excavated by the Field Exploration Committee at Fort George, a British fort at Niagara-on-the-Lake on the Niagara River in Ontario, Canada. Built in 1795, the fort was captured by American forces on May 27, 1813, and occupied by them until December. The button belonged to a soldier in the Royal Regiment of Artillery who was stationed at the fort.
Due to ongoing research, information about this object is subject to change.