British military button excavated at Fort George
Overall: 3/8 in. ( 1 cm )
stamped: (7), on front: "4..." ( possibly British 40th Regiment)
Pewter military button; regiment number inscribed in center.
This button was excavated by the Field Exploration Committee at Fort George, a British fort at Niagara-on-the-Lake on the Niagara River in Ontario, Canada. Built in 1795, the fort was captured by American forces on May 27, 1813, and occupied by them until December.
Due to ongoing research, information about this object is subject to change.