British military button excavated in Canada
Overall: 5/8 in. ( 1.6 cm )
stamped: (26), inside starburst: "GR"; at edge: "ROYAL VOLUNTEERS"
Pewter military button; foliate inscription enclosed by starburst in center of button; encircled by inscription on edge.
This button was excavated by the Field Exploration Committee in Ontario, Canada along the Niagara River near Fort George, a British fort built in 1795. The button was probably worn by a private who served in one of the Canadian militias.
Due to ongoing research, information about this object is subject to change.