British military button excavated in Canada
Overall: 5/8 in. ( 1.6 cm )
stamped: (19), on front: "5" (5th British Regiment, Northumbria)
Pewter military button; regiment number in center enclosed by broken circle.
This button was excavated by the Field Exploration Committee in Ontario, Canada along the Niagara River near Fort George, a British fort built in 1795. The button was worn by a private of the 5th Regiment who was stationed in a camp along the river. The 5th Regiment arrived in Canada in 1787 and returned to England in 1797.
Due to ongoing research, information about this object is subject to change.