Brick fragment excavated at Fort Ticonderoga
Overall: 3 1/2 x 3 1/2 x 1 3/4 in. ( 8.9 x 8.9 x 4.4 cm )
Brick fragment excavated at Fort Ticonderoga; red brick.
This brick fragment was excavated in October, 1935 by the Field Exploration Committee at Fort Ticonderoga, on Lake Champlain in New York. Built by the French in 1755 and named Carillon, the fort was destroyed in 1759. Rebuilt as Ticonderoga, it was captured on May 10, 1775 by the Green Mountain Boys, under Ethan Allen and Benedict Arnold, and recaptured by General Burgoyne in June, 1777. The brick was part of a structure inside the fort, possibly the headquarters built for General Burgoyne.
Due to ongoing research, information about this object is subject to change.