Overall: 7 3/8 x 3 3/8 in. ( 18.7 x 8.6 cm )
This brick was found during the reconstruction of Fraunces Tavern, a Colonial tavern on Pearl and Whitehall Streets in lower Manhattan. Originally built in 1719 as a private home, the building was bought in 1762 by Samuel Fraunces, who named his tavern the Queen Charlotte. The tavern was used as a meeting place by the Sons of Liberty, and was given its owner's name at the outbreak of the Revolution. In 1783, George Washington gave a farewell address to his officers in the tavern's Long Room.
Gift of Eugene White
Due to ongoing research, information about this object is subject to change.