Brass object excavated at Revolutionary War barracks
Overall: 3 3/8 x 3/8 in. ( 8.6 x 1 cm )
stamped: (122), on front: "CHARLES HUSSEY SUG..."
Brass object; flat rectangular strip marked on edge with groups of six or seven small lines at spaced intervals; inscription in center.
This object was excavated by Reginald P. Bolton and others from a refuse deposit near military barracks that extended along Bennett Avenue between 181st and 182nd Streets. The barracks were built after the surrender of Fort Washington on November 16, 1776, and were occupied by the British and Hessian garrisons of the fort until evacuation in 1783. The object was found at 181st Street and Broadway, and may be a ruler that belonged to a soldier or a civilian.
Gift of the Washington Headquarters Association, Daughters of the American Revolution, 1947
Due to ongoing research, information about this object is subject to change.