Brass object excavated at Fort Haldimand
Overall: 7/8 in. ( 2.2 cm )
Brass object excavated at Fort Haldimand; hollow cylinder with diamond-shaped hole at one end.
This object was excavated by the Field Exploration Committee from a refuse pit at Fort Haldimand, a British fort on Carleton Island in the St. Lawrence River in New York, just below the Canadian border. Built in 1779, the fort commanded passage of the river and was retained by the British until its destruction by American forces in 1812. The object was probably part of a ramrod holder on a musket.
Due to ongoing research, information about this object is subject to change.