Bowl excavated at a Revolutionary War military hut
Overall: 4 1/8 x 8 1/8 in. ( 10.5 x 20.6 cm )
Earthenware bowl; red-bodied with brown glaze.
This bowl was excavated by Reginald P. Bolton and others from a military hut at 182nd Street between Fort Washington and Bennett Avenues. The hut was built after the surrender of Fort Washington on November 16, 1776, and was probably occupied by officers of the British and Hessian regiments that garrisoned the fort until evacuation in 1783.
Gift of the Washington Headquarters Association, Daughters of the American Revolution, 1947
Due to ongoing research, information about this object is subject to change.