Bottleglass fragments (3) excavated at Fort Ticonderoga
largest: 3 1/8 x 2 x 1/4 in. ( 7.9 x 5.1 x 0.6 cm )
Bottleglass fragments excavated at Fort Ticonderoga; green glass; body fragments.
These fragments were excavated on September 30, 1935 by the Field Exploration Committee on the shore of Lake Champlain below Fort Ticonderoga, in New York. Built by the French in 1755 and named Carillon, the fort was destroyed in 1759 in anticipation of capture. Rebuilt as Ticonderoga, it was captured on May 10, 1775 by the Green Mountain Boys, under Ethan Allen and Colonel Benedict Arnold, and recaptured by General Burgoyne in June, 1777. The fragments were part of wine or liquor bottles.
Due to ongoing research, information about this object is subject to change.