Bottle: Dr D.Jayne's Alternative...
Overall: 7 1/4 x 2 7/8 x 1 5/8 in. ( 18.4 x 7.3 x 4.1 cm )
in relief (lengthwise): on obverse: "DR D. JAYNE'S / ALTERATIVE / 84CHEST.ST.PHILA"
Aquamarine glass medicine bottle blown in a two-part mold with down-tooled collar, cylindrical neck, rounded rectangular body with recessed panel with arched top on obverse containing lengthwise inscription "DR D. JAYNE'S ALTERATIVE 84 CHEST. ST. PHILA," and mold seam and pontil mark on base.
In 1846 Dr. David Jayne and his sons, David W. and Eben C., formed "David Jayne & Sons, Proprietors of Jaynes Family medicine." Philadelphia city directories list "David Jayne & Sons, druggists" at 84 Chestnut Street from 1851 until 1858. Jayne's Alterative was a treatment for scrofula, goiter, cancer, and diseases of the skin and bones. (See McKearin and Wilson, "American Bottles & Flasks and Their Ancestry," pp. 296-297.)
Purchased from Elie Nadelman
The Folk Art Collection of Elie Nadelman
Due to ongoing research, information about this object is subject to change.