Bottle: Congress & Empire Spring Co.
Overall: 9 1/2 x 4 in. ( 24.1 x 10.2 cm )
embossed: on obverse side; "CONGRESS & EMPIRE SPRING CO./ SARATOGA NY" embossed: on reverse side; "EMPIRE WATER"
Green, non-lead, glass bottle blown in a three-part mold with embossed lettering; bottle has a cylindrical neck with hand-tooled finish with a downturned lip and V-shaped string rim, rounded shoulders, and a cylindrical body embossed with a large "E" within an arch formed by the inscription CONGRESS & EMPIRE SPRING CO./ SARATOGA NY" on the obverse side, "EMPIRE WATER" in an arch on the reverse.
This bottle represents the pint style that was made by the Congressville Glass Works (in operation 1865-1890) for the Congress & Empire Spring Co., of Saratoga, NY. The "E" and "EMPIRE WATER" refers to the Empire Spring, which was a source for bottled water in Saratoga starting in 1848.This brand was one of the most popular of the Saratoga mineral waters; somewhere between 75,000 and 100,000 bottles sold by the company in 1878, including to many parts of the world (McKearin & Wilson 1978).
Gift of Clarence G. Michalis
Due to ongoing research, information about this object is subject to change.