Overall: 11 1/2 x 5 3/4 in. ( 29.2 x 14.6 cm )
impressed: on seal; "HRemson ('H' and 'R' joined)/ 1765
Olive green, non-lead, blown glass bottle with applied seal "H REMSEN 1765;" bottle blown in dip mold and has cylindrical neck with applied up-tooled and flattened string rim, rounded shoulders, and a squat cylindrical body with seal applied at shoulder, push-up, and pontil mark.
According to the accession records for this bottle and other objects given by the donors, "H Remsen" is probably Henry Remsen (1736-1792). Remsen was a New York City merchant and co-partner with his father in the firm Henry Remsen & Son, which became Henry Remsen after his father's death in 1771. The firm was located at 8 Hanover Square. This importing business dealt in wool, indigo, gloves, hats and stockings, among other items. Remsen was one of the Committee of One Hundred selected to take charge of New York City under Isaac Low's chairmanship in 1774. He later served in the Continental Congress and was secretary to John Jay. By 1789, Remsen was a partner with Henry Sleight in the firm Remsen & Sleight on Little Water Street. He married Cornelia Dickenson and had nine children.
Gift of Mrs. Edward Rutledge and Daughters
Due to ongoing research, information about this object is subject to change.