Blue Bell Tavern, New York City
Watercolor, gouache, black ink, and graphite on paper
Overall: 8 7/8 x 11 3/8 in. ( 22.5 x 28.9 cm ) mat: 10 x 14 in. ( 25.4 x 35.6 cm )
inscription: lower center, ink: "The Old "Blue Bell" Tavern,/Kingsbridge Road./Washington and Gov: Clinton reviewed the/American troops from this house, November 25th/1783. date: verso, pencil: "1873"
Signed and inscribed at lower left in gouache: "Hosier. 1873"; below image in brown watercolor: "The Old 'BLUE BELL' TAVERN. / KINGSBRIDGE ROAD. / WASHINGTON AND GOV: CLINTON REVIEWED THE AMERICAN / TROOPS FROM THIS HOUSE, NOVEMBER 25th. 1873. / 1873."; at lower right outside image in graphite: "To A.W. Drake, with the regards of the / artist. / Oct. 1873."; various inscriptions and old label on verso
Architecture: The old 'Blue Bell' Tavern on Kingsbridge Road, where Washington and Gov. Clinton reviewed the American troops on November 25, 1783.
The Blue Bell Tavern was a noted colonial hostelry on upper Manhattan Island, standing on the west side of the Kingsbridge Road (now Broadway), just north of 181st Street. It was demolished in 1880 when the highway was widened, and the site is now covered by the sidewalk.
Gift of Samuel Verplanck Hoffman
Due to ongoing research, information about this object is subject to change.