Wood, White pine (by microanalysis)
Overall: 15 1/2 x 32 1/2 x 15 in. ( 39.4 x 82.6 x 38.1 cm )
Chalk inscription inside lid: "Fassb[illeg] / 2 / 70-" (probably 20th century)
Pine chest with carved decoration; rectangular top with two inset molded panels; front panel carved with three arches on wide fluted columns and numbers "1 6 7 8" carved between; sides have inset molded panels; pinwheel motif stamped around perimeter; molded base on turned bun feet (later); wrought iron hardware.
This object was once part of the folk art collection of Elie Nadelman (1882-1946), the avant-garde sculptor. From 1924 to 1934, Nadelman's collection was displayed in his Museum of Folk Arts, located in the Riverdale section of the Bronx. The Historical Society purchased Nadelman's entire collection in 1937.
Purchased from Elie Nadelman
Purchased from Strub & Morgan, Dec. 1924; The Folk Art Collection of Elie Nadelman
Due to ongoing research, information about this object is subject to change.