Billopp House, Staten Island, New York
Watercolor, gouache, graphite, and brown ink on paper
Overall: 8 1/16 x 10 3/4 in. ( 20.5 x 27.3 cm )
signature and date: lower right: "Abm. Hosier, 1873" inscription: lower center: "The Bentley Manor House, Staten Island./Place of Conference between Lord Howe and the American Commissioners,/September 10th [sic], 1776"
Signed and inscribed at lower right inside image in black ink: "Ab'm. Hosier. 1873."; at lower center outside image in brown ink: 'The Bentley Manor House, Staten Island. / Place of Conference between Lord Howe and the American Commissioners. / September 10th. 1776."
This house was erected prior to 1688 on Captain Christopher Billopp's manor of Bentley, on the south shore of Staten Island at the foot of Hylan Boulevard at Tottenville. On September 11, 1776, it was the scene of a futile peace conference between a committee of the Continental Congress, attended by Benjamin Franklin, John Adams, Edward Rutledge, and Richard, Lord Viscount Howe, the British representative, to settle differences between Great Britain and the American colonies.
Due to ongoing research, information about this object is subject to change.