Belt plate excavated at a British and Hessian Revolutionary War fort and camp
Overall: 2 x 2 in. ( 5.1 x 5.1 cm )
printed: on back of plate: "190th St./1891" (pencil mark)
Bronze belt plate excavated at the British and Hessian camp on Laurel Hill at Fort George, along Audubon and Eleventh Avenues and between 190th and 194th Streets in Washington Heights, Manhattan; belt plate is square-shaped and inscribed.
This belt plate was excavated by the Field Exploration Committee at the British and Hessian camp on Laurel Hill at Fort George, in Washington Heights. It was housed for many years as part of the Reginald Pelham Bolton Collection of Revolutionary War Relics (Case 3) in the Jumel Mansion, on 160th Street and Edgecomb Ave. According to a label written on the plate, it was found on 190th Street in 1891.
Gift of the Washington Headquarters Association, Daughters of the American Revolution, 1947
Due to ongoing research, information about this object is subject to change.