Belt clasps (2) excavated at a British and Hessian Revolutionary War fort and ca
largest: 1 3/4 x 1 1/4 in. ( 4.4 x 3.2 cm )
Copper belt clasps excavated at the British and Hessian camp on Laurel Hill at Fort George, along Audubon and Eleventh Avenues and between 190th and 194th Streets in Washington Heights, Manhattan; each clasp has studs on the back and slots to loop the belt through.
These belt clasps were excavated by the Field Exploration Committee at the British and Hessian fort and camp on Laurel Hill at Fort George, in Washington Heights. One of the belt clasps (No. 330) was found by William L. Calver in 1894, according to a label found with it. They were housed for many years as part of the Reginald Pelham Bolton Collection of Revolutionary War Relics in the Jumel Mansion, at 160th Street and Edgecomb Avenue.
Gift of the Washington Headquarters Association, Daughters of the American Revolution, 1947
Due to ongoing research, information about this object is subject to change.