Overall: 1 x 1 1/2 in. ( 2.5 x 3.8 cm )
Brass belt clasp; flat base with three lobes at top and three studs on back.
This clasp was excavated in 1894 by William L. Calver at a military camp at 201st Street and Ninth Avenue in Washington Heights, Manhattan. Built after the surrender of Fort Washington by American forces on November 16, 1776, the camp was occupied by British soldiers who were guarding the landing area for a ferry that crossed the Harlem River from the Bronx to Manhattan.
Gift of the Washington Headquarters Association, Daughters of the American Revolution, 1947
Due to ongoing research, information about this object is subject to change.