Bayonet socket excavated at a Revolutionary War military camp
Overall: 3 5/8 x 2 3/8 x 1 1/8 in. ( 9.2 x 6 x 2.9 cm )
Iron bayonet socket.
This object was excavated by Reginald P. Bolton and others in the fireplace of a hut on 171st Street west of Fort Washington Avenue, within the area of a military camp that extended west of Broadway between 168th and 171st Streets. Built after the surrender of Fort Washington by American forces on November 16, 1776, the amp was occupied by British and Hessian troops until evacuation in 1783.
Gift of the Washington Headquarters Association, Daughters of the American Revolution, 1947
Due to ongoing research, information about this object is subject to change.