Bar shot excavated at Fort Washington
Overall: 7 1/8 x 3 in. ( 18.1 x 7.6 cm )
Iron bar shot; short, rectangular bar with large, circular ball at end; other half broken off.
This bar shot was excavated in 1922 by the Field Exploration Committee from a refuse deposit outside the south ramparts of Fort Washington. Built by the Continental Army in the summer of 1776, the fort extended west along 183rd Street from Fort Washington Avenue to Pinehurst Avenue. The fort was captured on November 16, 1776 by British and Hessian forces, and was occupied by them until 1783. The bar shot was designed to expand upon firing, and was probably part of captured American supplies.
Due to ongoing research, information about this object is subject to change.