Overall (a): 17 3/4 in. × 22 ft. 11 in. (45.1 cm × 6 m 98.5 cm)
painted: all over: "MORRISANIA EXEMPT FIREMEN."
One of two cotton canvas banners hand painted in black and red letters, "MORRISANIA EXEMPT FIREMEN."
In 1816, the Common Council of New York City encouraged enlistment of men in the fire companies by exempting firemen from jury duty and service in the militia. This is where the term Exempt developed in association with the fire department in New York. In 1865, the volunteer fire department was replaceed with professional, disbanding the volunteer wards, most of whom were associated with Tammany Hall and much of the political corruption in the first half of the 19th century in New York City.
Due to ongoing research, information about this object is subject to change.