Banner: Bronx Exempt
Cotton, silk ribbon
Overall: 23 1/2 x 82 1/2 in. ( 59.7 x 209.6 cm )
painted: center: "BRONX EXEMPTS"
Blue cotton banner painted red, yellow and gold letters, "BRONX EXEMPTS" with a gold scroll beneath; yellow metallic trim along the scalloped edges; metallic (oxidized) fringe along the bottom edge; blue silk sibbons along the top edge; backed with yellow cotton.
In 1816, the Common Council of New York City encouraged enlistment in fire companies by exempting firemen from jury duty and service in the militia. This is where the term Exempt in association with the fire department in New York developed from. In 1865, the volunteer fire departmen was replaced with professionals, disbanding the volunteer ward, most of which were associated with Tammany Hall and much of the political corruption in the first half of the 19th century in New York City.
Due to ongoing research, information about this object is subject to change.