Silk, gold, enamel
overall, with ribbon: 2 1/8 x 7 3/8 in. ( 5.4 x 18.7 cm )
written: on reverse of enamel plaque: "VIRT. PREM. SOCI.CIN.RUM. INST.A.D. 1783" written: on obverse of enamel plaque: "OMNIA. RELINQT. SERVAT. REMPB."
Badge of the society of Cincinnati, consisting of silk ribbon of pale blue with white edges, with rosette, attached by gold loop to badge in the form of an eagle with outstretched wings and a wreath around his head; obverse has eagle head facing left, and oval plaque at center of eagle with enameled image of Cincinnatus receiving a sword; reverse has eagle head facing right and enameled plaque at center with scene of city and Cincinnatus in foreground; eagle, plaque and portion of wreath decorated with enamels; plaques with Latin inscriptions around perimeter of oval.
The Society of the Cincinnati was formed in 1783 by Major-General Henry Knox and other Revolutionary War officers to maintain and perpetuate the personal associations established during the war. This badge was worn by General Ebenezer Stevens (1751-1823), vice president of the New York branch of the Society. He is depicted wearing it in the portrait by Edward Savage (1915.1). His certificate of membership in the Cincinnati, signed by Washington, is also at the NYHS.
Gift of Frederic Gallatin, 1889
Due to ongoing research, information about this object is subject to change.