Anson Greene Phelps (1781-1853)
Oil on canvas
Overall: 36 x 29 in. ( 91.4 x 73.7 cm )
inscription: on back: "Anson G. Phelps Esq. / Painted by / Waldo & Jewett / New York 1847"
A native of Connecticut, Phelps moved his metal business in 1812 from Hartford to New York where he and Elisha Peck formed the firm of Phelps, Peck and Company. In 1833 he entered into a partnership with his son-in-law, William Earl Dodge, and they created one of the most important industrial firms of the nineteenth century--Phelps, Dodge and Company.
Gift of the James Foundation
Due to ongoing research, information about this object is subject to change.