American Institute Medal
diameter: 2 in. ( 5.1 cm )
Inscription: obverse, in exergue, at center: "R. LOVETT."
Silver struck medal with obverse showing figure of Liberty holding laurel wreath and pole surmounted by Phrygian cap; at left are tools of agriculture and sailing ship in the background; at right -- symbols of American state and cornucopia; legend above: "AMERICAN INSTITUTE."; inscription in exergue: "NEW YORK." Reverse has space for engraving at center, surrounded by laurel and oak wreath, with legend: "AWARDED/TO" and inscription: "C. Volkert/For the best/Inlaid Wood Work./1852."
The American Institute was founded in NY in 1827 as a national organization dedicated to supporting the industrial and agrarian arts. Its annual fairs, held in Mechanics Hall, and later Masonic Hall and Niblo's Garden, were in the words of Luther Bradish, a former Governor of New York and 10th President of the N-YHS, "extensive and brilliant displays of the most valuable specimens of domestic skill and industry."
Harkness, Andrew. "The American Institute - Catalyst for the American Greatness." TAMS (Token and Medal Society) Journal 29, no. 4 (August 1989): 123-135.
Gift of Edmond C. Bonaventure
Due to ongoing research, information about this object is subject to change.