Aero Club of America Medal
diameter: 3 in. ( 7.6 cm )
Inscription: obverse, at lower center: "V.D.BrennerSc."
Bronze struck medal with obverse showing accolated clothed busts of W. Wright, at left, and O. Wright, at right, facing left and labelled respectively: "W. WRIGHT/SEP. 21. 1908/LE MANS/FRANCE " and: "O. WRIGHT/SEP. 9 . 1908/FORT/MYERVA . /V.S.A."; legend above: "AERO . CLVB . OF . AMERICA." Reverse depicts an airplane above, with logo of the Aero Club of America with date "1905" at bottom.
Founded in 1905, the Aero Club of America was the first group in the country to set standards for pilot's licenses. The Wright Brothers' first official statement that they had solved the problem of mechanical flight was made to the Aero Club. In 1922, the Club joined with other flying clubs to found the National Aeronautic Association.
Due to ongoing research, information about this object is subject to change.