Overall: 12 x 1 9/16 in. (30.5 x 3.9 cm)
Text on front: Women's Wear / BROADWAY AT 12th STREET / NEW YORK, N.Y. / DAILY TRADE RECORD Text on back: TRY A / WANT AD. THEY / BRING RESULTS / The Whithead & Hoag Co. / Newark, N.J. / Pat. June 6, 1905
Celluloid advertising ruler for Women's Wear. Text on front of the ruler reads: Women's Wear / BROADWAY AT 12TH STREET / NEW YORK, N.Y. / DAILY TRADE RECORD Text on the back: TRY A / WANT AD. THEY / BRING RESULTS / The Whithead & Hoag Co. / Newark, N.J. / Pat. June 6, 1905
Celluloid, the first entirely synthetic plastic, was invented by John Wesley Hyatt (1837-1920) of Albany in 1869. It is created from nitrocellulose and camphor along with dyes and other agents. Hyatt first developed the material as a less expensive alternative to ivory in the production of billiard balls. Hyatt's invention was patented in 1869 and subsequently used for a wide range of objects, both in imitation of expensive animal products like ivory, horn, and tortoiseshell, and also as an inexpensive medium for objects such as dresser sets, jewelry, picture frames, and advertising giveaways. Celluloid, which is both flammable and fragile, was gradually supplanted by the stronger Bakelite in the 1920s. Celluloid continues to be used today for making Ping Pong balls and guitar picks.
Gift of Dadie and Norman Perlov and Daughters
Due to ongoing research, information about this object is subject to change.