1 of set of 6 Side Chairs
Overall: 38 1/4 x 20 1/4 x 18 1/2 in. ( 97.2 x 51.4 x 47 cm )
Cherry Chippendale side chair; back with double serpentine crest rail with scrolled ears and pierced splat with interlace design; trapezoidal seat upholstered over the rail with red silk damask which is tacked with metal tacks to seat rail; straight, reeded front legs, curved back legs, and rectangular side and medial stretchers.
The donor's husband received the set of six chairs from his sister-in-law, a granddaughter of Israel Putnam (1718-1790). As major-general in the Continental Army, Putnam played an important part in the battle of Bunker Hill. The set of chairs was used in the Board Room of the Historical Society's Second Avenue Building during the second half of the nineteenth century.
Gift of Mrs. Benjamin M. Norman
Due to ongoing research, information about this object is subject to change.