Bottle stopper

Classification: 
Is owned by NYHS: 
Yes
Object name: 
Date: 
1960s-1970s
Medium: 
Aluminum and plastic
Dimensions: 
Overall: 1 × 1 1/2 × 1 1/8 in. (2.5 × 3.8 × 2.9 cm)
Place Made: 
Description: 
Credit Line: 
Gift of Gloria Tomba Daini in honor of her father Amedeo Tomba
Object Number: 
2017.14.31
Marks: 
“EL MOROCCO” stamped on top of stopper
Inscriptions: 
Gallery Label: 

The nightclub El Morocco first opened as a midtown New York speakeasy in 1931 during Prohibition. Following the repeal of Prohibition in 1933, the club became one of the city’s most popular and glamourous locales. It was frequented by international luminaries, New York City socialites, movie and stage stars (Rudy Vallee, Gary Cooper, Errol Flynn, Gloria Swanson, and Fred Astaire among them), directors, celebrated journalists, sports champions, and other dignitaries such Franklin D. Roosevelt, and, later, John F. Kennedy.

The club was located at 154 East 54th Street until 1960, when its proprietor, John Perona, moved it to 307 East 54th Street. Its interior was nearly as famous as its clientele. The club’s ceiling was painted a deep, “glittering” blue, and its furnishings and tableware sported a bold blue and white zebra pattern. After Perona died in 1961, El Morocco closed and reopened several times under different owners into the 1990s.

Provenance: 

Donor received the objects through inheritance.

Bibliography: 
Prior Exhibitions: 
Date Begin: 
0
Date End: 
1979
eMuseum Object ID: 
78981
Exclude from TMS update: 
3
Due to ongoing research, information about this object is subject to change.

Ashtray

Classification: 
Is owned by NYHS: 
Yes
Object name: 
Date: 
mid-twentieth century
Medium: 
Ceramic
Dimensions: 
Overall: 5/8 in. × 4 in. (1.6 × 10.2 cm)
Place Made: 
Description: 
Credit Line: 
Gift of Gloria Tomba Daini in honor of her father Amedeo Tomba
Object Number: 
2017.14.30
Marks: 
“EL MOROCCO” and signature “Jaro Fabry” printed on face of ashtray
Inscriptions: 
Gallery Label: 

The nightclub El Morocco first opened as a midtown New York speakeasy in 1931 during Prohibition. Following the repeal of Prohibition in 1933, the club became one of the city’s most popular and glamourous locales. It was frequented by international luminaries, New York City socialites, movie and stage stars (Rudy Vallee, Gary Cooper, Errol Flynn, Gloria Swanson, and Fred Astaire among them), directors, celebrated journalists, sports champions, and other dignitaries such Franklin D. Roosevelt, and, later, John F. Kennedy.

The club was located at 154 East 54th Street until 1960, when its proprietor, John Perona, moved it to 307 East 54th Street. Its interior was nearly as famous as its clientele. The club’s ceiling was painted a deep, “glittering” blue, and its furnishings and tableware sported a bold blue and white zebra pattern. After Perona died in 1961, El Morocco closed and reopened several times under different owners into the 1990s.

Provenance: 

Donor received the objects through inheritance.

Bibliography: 
Prior Exhibitions: 
Date Begin: 
0
Date End: 
1975
eMuseum Object ID: 
78980
Exclude from TMS update: 
3
Due to ongoing research, information about this object is subject to change.

Matchbook

Classification: 
Is owned by NYHS: 
Yes
Object name: 
Date: 
ca. 1965
Medium: 
Paper, metal, sulfur
Dimensions: 
Overall: 2 1/8 × 2 × 1/2 in. (5.4 × 5.1 × 1.3 cm)
Place Made: 
Description: 
Credit Line: 
Gift of Gloria Tomba Daini in honor of her father Amedeo Tomba
Object Number: 
2017.14.27
Marks: 
“EL MOROCCO” and “LION MATCH CORP OF AMERICA - NEW YORK” printed on exterior; “EL MOROCCO / 307 EAST 54TH ST. / NEW YORK CITY / Plaza 2-2960” also printed on interior flap.
Inscriptions: 
Gallery Label: 

The nightclub El Morocco first opened as a midtown New York speakeasy in 1931 during Prohibition. Following the repeal of Prohibition in 1933, the club became one of the city’s most popular and glamourous locales. It was frequented by international luminaries, New York City socialites, movie and stage stars (Rudy Vallee, Gary Cooper, Errol Flynn, Gloria Swanson, and Fred Astaire among them), directors, celebrated journalists, sports champions, and other dignitaries such Franklin D. Roosevelt, and, later, John F. Kennedy.

The club was located at 154 East 54th Street until 1960, when its proprietor, John Perona, moved it to 307 East 54th Street. Its interior was nearly as famous as its clientele. The club’s ceiling was painted a deep, “glittering” blue, and its furnishings and tableware sported a bold blue and white zebra pattern. After Perona died in 1961, El Morocco closed and reopened several times under different owners into the 1990s.

Provenance: 

Donor received the objects through inheritance.

Bibliography: 
Prior Exhibitions: 
Date Begin: 
0
Date End: 
1970
eMuseum Object ID: 
78977
Exclude from TMS update: 
3
Due to ongoing research, information about this object is subject to change.

Matchbook

Classification: 
Is owned by NYHS: 
Yes
Object name: 
Date: 
ca. 1965
Medium: 
Paper, metal, sulfur
Dimensions: 
Overall: 2 1/8 × 2 × 1/2 in. (5.4 × 5.1 × 1.3 cm)
Place Made: 
Description: 
Credit Line: 
Gift of Gloria Tomba Daini in honor of her father Amedeo Tomba
Object Number: 
2017.14.26
Marks: 
“EL MOROCCO” and “LION MATCH CORP OF AMERICA - NEW YORK” printed on exterior; “EL MOROCCO / 307 EAST 54TH ST. / NEW YORK CITY / Plaza 2-2960” also printed on interior flap.
Inscriptions: 
Gallery Label: 

The nightclub El Morocco first opened as a midtown New York speakeasy in 1931 during Prohibition. Following the repeal of Prohibition in 1933, the club became one of the city’s most popular and glamourous locales. It was frequented by international luminaries, New York City socialites, movie and stage stars (Rudy Vallee, Gary Cooper, Errol Flynn, Gloria Swanson, and Fred Astaire among them), directors, celebrated journalists, sports champions, and other dignitaries such Franklin D. Roosevelt, and, later, John F. Kennedy.

The club was located at 154 East 54th Street until 1960, when its proprietor, John Perona, moved it to 307 East 54th Street. Its interior was nearly as famous as its clientele. The club’s ceiling was painted a deep, “glittering” blue, and its furnishings and tableware sported a bold blue and white zebra pattern. After Perona died in 1961, El Morocco closed and reopened several times under different owners into the 1990s.

Provenance: 

Donor received the objects through inheritance.

Bibliography: 
Prior Exhibitions: 
Date Begin: 
0
Date End: 
1970
eMuseum Object ID: 
78976
Exclude from TMS update: 
3
Due to ongoing research, information about this object is subject to change.

Matchbook

Classification: 
Is owned by NYHS: 
Yes
Object name: 
Date: 
ca. 1965
Medium: 
Paper, metal, sulfur
Dimensions: 
Overall: 1 1/2 × 2 1/4 × 1/2 in. (3.8 × 5.7 × 1.3 cm)
Place Made: 
Description: 
Credit Line: 
Gift of Gloria Tomba Daini in honor of her father Amedeo Tomba
Object Number: 
2017.14.25
Marks: 
“CLOSE COVER BEFORE STRIKING” and “LION MATCH CORP OF AMERICA - NEW YORK” printed on exterior
Inscriptions: 
Gallery Label: 

The nightclub El Morocco first opened as a midtown New York speakeasy in 1931 during Prohibition. Following the repeal of Prohibition in 1933, the club became one of the city’s most popular and glamourous locales. It was frequented by international luminaries, New York City socialites, movie and stage stars (Rudy Vallee, Gary Cooper, Errol Flynn, Gloria Swanson, and Fred Astaire among them), directors, celebrated journalists, sports champions, and other dignitaries such Franklin D. Roosevelt, and, later, John F. Kennedy.

The club was located at 154 East 54th Street until 1960, when its proprietor, John Perona, moved it to 307 East 54th Street. Its interior was nearly as famous as its clientele. The club’s ceiling was painted a deep, “glittering” blue, and its furnishings and tableware sported a bold blue and white zebra pattern. After Perona died in 1961, El Morocco closed and reopened several times under different owners into the 1990s.

Provenance: 

Donor received the objects through inheritance.

Bibliography: 
Prior Exhibitions: 
Date Begin: 
0
Date End: 
1970
eMuseum Object ID: 
78975
Exclude from TMS update: 
3
Due to ongoing research, information about this object is subject to change.

Ashtray

Classification: 
Date: 
1940-1960
Medium: 
Ceramic
Dimensions: 
Overall: 1 1/2 x 4 3/4 in. ( 3.8 x 12.1 cm )
Description: 
Circular ceramic ashtray with match holder; painted black; inscribed three times on the side "STORK CLUB" in white; maker's mark stamped on the base.
Credit Line: 
Gift of Mr. Michael Buckley
Object Number: 
2000.38
Marks: 
painted: on the side: three times, "STORK CLUB" stamped: on the base: "HALL" in a circle above "MADE IN USA"
Gallery Label: 
This ceramic ashtray with match holder was made for and used in the Stork Club in New York City. Mr. Buckley aquired it while cleaning out an abandoned house in Brooklyn. Sherman Billingsley, the proprietor of the Stork Club, was famous for merchandizing the Club through souvenir items like this ashtray.
Date Begin: 
0
Date End: 
1960
eMuseum Object ID: 
41754
Due to ongoing research, information about this object is subject to change.

Snuffbox with lid

Classification: 
Date: 
ca. 1850-1860
Medium: 
Papier-mâché
Dimensions: 
Overall: 3/4 x 3 3/8 in. ( 1.9 x 8.6 cm )
Description: 
Circular papier-mâché snuffbox with painted depiction of two gold-diggers fighting over claim, with a third figure, coastline and ocean with ship in distance.
Credit Line: 
Gift of Mrs. Thomas Hunt
Object Number: 
1931.21ab
Marks: 
printed: beneath painted image: "Gold-diggers in Cali-/fornia"
Date Begin: 
0
Date End: 
1860
eMuseum Object ID: 
36816
Due to ongoing research, information about this object is subject to change.

Matchsafe of Francis Lewis (1837-1878)

Classification: 
Date: 
ca. 1870
Medium: 
Silver plate
Dimensions: 
Overall: 2 3/4 x 1 1/2 in. (7 x 3.8 cm)
Description: 
Flattened oval container with hinged top, decorated with flowers and scrolls in relief. Striking pad on bottom. Engraved "F L"
Credit Line: 
Gift of Carol R. Townsend
Object Number: 
2012.24.2
Gallery Label: 
The match safe was owned by the donor's great-grandfather, Francis Lewis (1837-1878), who married Lydia Mount. The simple container, decorated with Rococo ornament, held loose friction matches tipped with phosphorus which could be lit with the striking pad on the underside of the case. As early friction matches were combustible, metal containers were used to hold the matches in pockets and purses. The containers were popular from the 1870s to about 1910, when they were made obsolete by the success of the matchbook. Francis Lewis is a descendant of Morgan Lewis (1754-1844), a governor of New York and the sixth president of the New-York Historical Society. The Society has a posthumous portrait of Morgan Lewis (1910.4).
Date Begin: 
0
Date End: 
1875
eMuseum Object ID: 
69038
Due to ongoing research, information about this object is subject to change.

Ashtray

Classification: 
Date: 
1945-1955
Medium: 
Printed metal
Dimensions: 
Overall: 1/4 x 3 3/4 x 4 3/4 in. (0.6 x 9.5 x 12.1 cm)
Description: 
Stamped pin-up ashtray, advertising Johnny Archer Studio. Woman, wearing only pink scarf, talks on the telephone. Set against a pink pastel background, with yellow border. Text on border reads: "Johnny Archer Studio / Musical Instruments / 106 Elm St. Marlboro, Mass."
Credit Line: 
Gift of Ivan C. & Marilynn Gelfman Karp
Object Number: 
2010.26.23
Date Begin: 
0
Date End: 
1955
eMuseum Object ID: 
66900
Due to ongoing research, information about this object is subject to change.

Ashtray

Classification: 
Date: 
1945-1955
Medium: 
Printed metal
Dimensions: 
Overall: 1/4 x 3 3/4 x 4 3/4 in. (0.6 x 9.5 x 12.1 cm)
Description: 
Stamped pin-up ashtray, advertising Johnny Archer Studio. Woman, wearing only a black lace bra, smiles. Set against a blue pastel background, with yellow border. Text on border reads: "Johnny Archer Studio / Musical Instruments / 106 Elm St. Marlboro, Mass."
Credit Line: 
Gift of Ivan C. & Marilynn Gelfman Karp
Object Number: 
2010.26.22
Date Begin: 
0
Date End: 
1955
eMuseum Object ID: 
66899
Due to ongoing research, information about this object is subject to change.

Pages

Subscribe to RSS - SMOKING TOOLS & EQUIPMENT
Creative: Tronvig Group