Expanded Hours

We're now Wednesdays through Sundays! Proof of vaccination is required. Learn more >

Piece of wood from the frigate "Constitution"

Classification: 
Date: 
1800-1812
Medium: 
Wood
Dimensions: 
Overall: 6 x 6 x 6 in. ( 15.2 x 15.2 x 15.2 cm )
Description: 
Cubic piece of wood from the United States frigate "Constitution."
Credit Line: 
Gift of Ferris H. Reeve
Object Number: 
1949.290
Gallery Label: 
The U.S. Frigate "Constitution" fought and won many naval battles during the War of 1812. According to the donor, this relic was presented to his mother by Rear Admiral Braine.
Date Begin: 
0
Date End: 
1812
eMuseum Object ID: 
26189
Due to ongoing research, information about this object is subject to change.

Baluster fragment from Dutch church

Classification: 
Date: 
1700-1800
Medium: 
Wood, paper
Dimensions: 
Overall: 22 1/4 x 3 3/4 x 2 in. ( 56.5 x 9.5 x 5.1 cm )
Description: 
Fragment of a wooden baluster from a Dutch church that once stood at Liberty and Nassau Street in downtown Manhattan; paper with inscription affixed to upper surface.
Object Number: 
INV.1063
Marks: 
handwritten in ink: on paper affixed to upper surface: "From the Old / Dutch Church / Liberty and Nassau St / New York" handwritten in pencil: on paper affixed to upper surface: "June 21, 1916"
Date Begin: 
0
Date End: 
1800
eMuseum Object ID: 
26154
Due to ongoing research, information about this object is subject to change.

Fragment of the floor of Audubon's house

Classification: 
Date: 
ca. 1841
Medium: 
Wood, paper
Dimensions: 
Overall: 7/8 x 5 1/2 x 10 1/2 in. ( 2.2 x 14 x 26.7 cm )
Description: 
Section of floor board with newspaper article and paper label affixed to front.
Credit Line: 
Gift of Mr. Brighton C. Cain
Object Number: 
1939.209
Marks: 
hand written: on paper label: "Piece of floor of 90 year old Audubon House at 155 st & Riverside Drive./ Dec. 1, 1931 S. Werner" printed: on newspaper: "[N]EW YORK TIMES, WED....[CUT OFF]"; "WRECKERS TAKE OVER/ THE AUDUBON HOUSE/ Washington Heights Ta
Gallery Label: 
According to the 1931 newspaper article affixed to the board, Audubon's home on 155th Street and Riverside Drive had been built in 1841 with money he had made from his books. When a developer purchased the building, intending to tear it down and construct an apartment building, local residents attempted to save it by moving it to nearby city land. Unfortunately, they could not raise the money required in time, and Audobon's home was destroyed.
Date Begin: 
0
Date End: 
1841
eMuseum Object ID: 
26125
Due to ongoing research, information about this object is subject to change.

Metal plate taken from U.S.S. Maine, 1898

Classification: 
Date: 
1890-1898
Medium: 
Brass, wood, metal
Dimensions: 
Overall: 3 1/8 x 1 1/2 x 3 7/8 in. ( 7.9 x 3.8 x 9.8 cm )
Description: 
Brass plate mounted on wooden block with inscribed metal label.
Credit Line: 
Gift of Captain William H. Pashley
Object Number: 
1945.346
Marks: 
engraved: in metal plate:"PLATE TAKEN FROM / U.S.S. MAINE/ DESTROYED BY EXPLOSION/ 2140 TUESDAY/ FEBRUARY 15 1898"
Gallery Label: 
According to the accession records, this fragment of brass came from the U.S.S. Maine, whose explosion sparked the Spanish-American War in 1898.
Date Begin: 
0
Date End: 
1898
eMuseum Object ID: 
26089
Due to ongoing research, information about this object is subject to change.

Piece of pennant used by Admiral Stephen Decatur Trenchard

Classification: 
Date: 
1860-1865
Medium: 
Silk
Dimensions: 
Overall: 80 x 1 1/2 in. ( 203.2 x 3.8 cm )
Description: 
Long, narrow strip of silk boat (gig) pennant with red and white stripes and white stars on blue ground; used by Admiral Stephen Decatur Trenchard (1818-83) during Civil War.
Credit Line: 
Gift of Edward Trenchard
Object Number: 
INV.12229
Gallery Label: 
A native of Brooklyn, Stephen Decatur Trenchard (1818-1883) served as a naval officer throughout the Civil War, principally on blockade duty. He won particular distinction in the second attack on Fort Fisher and was commissioned captain in 1866. He retired from the navy as rear-admiral in 1880. This piece of silk pennant was donated by Edward Trenchard in 1918.
Date Begin: 
0
Date End: 
1865
eMuseum Object ID: 
26084
Due to ongoing research, information about this object is subject to change.

Wood molding fragment from the steamship "Thomas Cornell"

Classification: 
Date: 
ca.1863
Medium: 
Wood
Dimensions: 
Overall: 1/2 x 1 7/8 x 4 in. ( 1.3 x 4.8 x 10.2 cm )
Description: 
Rectangular wood fragment with gray paint on one side and pencil inscription.
Credit Line: 
Purchase
Object Number: 
1941.830
Marks: 
handwritten: in pencil: "Thomas Cornell"
Gallery Label: 
The inscription indicates that this fragment comes from the steamship "Thomas Cornell."
Provenance: 
The George W. Murdock Collection of Steamboat Artifacts
Date Begin: 
0
Date End: 
1863
eMuseum Object ID: 
26081
Due to ongoing research, information about this object is subject to change.

Wood fragment from the steamship "Thomas McManus"

Classification: 
Date: 
ca. 1861
Medium: 
Wood
Dimensions: 
Overall: 1/4 x 1 5/8 x 7 3/4 in. ( 0.6 x 4.1 x 19.7 cm )
Description: 
Rectangular wooden fragment with inscribed paper label.
Credit Line: 
Purchase
Object Number: 
1941.829
Gallery Label: 
According to the accession records, this fragment came from the lignum vitae of the steamship "Thomas McManus."
Provenance: 
The George W. Murdock Collection of Steamboat Artifacts
Date Begin: 
0
Date End: 
1861
eMuseum Object ID: 
26045
Due to ongoing research, information about this object is subject to change.

Shingle from Lott homestead

Classification: 
Date: 
ca. 1800
Medium: 
Wood
Dimensions: 
Overall: 1/4 x 28 x 8 in. ( 0.6 x 71.1 x 20.3 cm )
Description: 
Wooden shingle made from long, thin board.
Credit Line: 
Gift of Mrs. Andrew H. Suydam
Object Number: 
1937.115
Marks: 
typed: on paper label affixed to shingle: "A hand-split cedar shingle, which was placed on the roof of the HENDRICK I. LOTT homestead, in Flatlands, Kings County, N.Y., in 1800; and removed in March, 1926. (The house is now numbered 1940 E. 36th St., Broo
Gallery Label: 
This shingle is from the Hendrick I. Lott homestead in Flatlands, Kings County, built around 1800. The shingle was removed in March, 1926 by Mrs. Andrew Suydam, the owner of the house and a descendant of Hendrick Lott, and donated to the Historical Society. The house is now numbered 1940 E. 36th St., Brooklyn, N.Y.
Date Begin: 
0
Date End: 
1800
eMuseum Object ID: 
26042
Due to ongoing research, information about this object is subject to change.

Piece of New York Marine Society banner

Classification: 
Date: 
ca. 1789 and 1914
Medium: 
Silk, parchment, wood, cardboard, glass
Dimensions: 
Overall: 13 1/2 x 11 1/2 x 3/4 in. ( 34.3 x 29.2 x 1.9 cm )
Description: 
Rectangular gold silk fragment of New York Marine Society banner carried by members of the Society in a procession escorting George Washington from the Merchants Coffee House to his home; mounted on parchment with typewritten inscription and framed; lengthy handwritten inscription on cardboard backing of frame.
Credit Line: 
Gift of Henry C. Roberts
Object Number: 
1940.96
Marks: 
typewritten: on parchment to which relic is affixed: "FROM THE NEW YORK MARINE SOCIETY'S BANNER. / PRESENTED TO THE DAUGHTERS OF THE CINCINNATI / BY Abram Wakeman [signed in ink] / April 23, 1789. - General George Washington arrived in / New York for his
Gallery Label: 
The donor of this object was an old book dealer and antiquarian located for many years on Canal Street; he obtained it from Carl Deutschberger, whose father, Jacob Deutschberger, was a prominent "old book man" on Fourth Avenue.
Date Begin: 
0
Date End: 
1914
eMuseum Object ID: 
26040
Due to ongoing research, information about this object is subject to change.

Hotel key

Classification: 
Date: 
1897-1920
Medium: 
Metal
Dimensions: 
Overall: 6 7/8 x 1 3/8 x 1/4 in. ( 17.5 x 3.5 x 0.6 cm )
Description: 
Hotel key with "873" impressed on one side of top and "The Waldorf-Astoria / NEW YORK" impressed on the other; attached with length of chain to roughly circular medallion with crown, wreath, and initials "W-A" in relief on one side and crown, shield held by two female figures, and inscription "THE WALDORF-ASTORIA / NEW YORK" on the other.
Object Number: 
INV.7459b
Marks: 
impressed: on key: "873" and "The Waldord-Astoria / NEW YORK" in relief: on tag: "W-A" and "THE WALDORF-ASTORIA / NEW YORK / D'S'N PATD"
Date Begin: 
0
Date End: 
1920
eMuseum Object ID: 
25978
Due to ongoing research, information about this object is subject to change.

Pages

Subscribe to RSS - HISTORIC RELICS
Creative: Tronvig Group