Block from Seaman's Retreat

Classification: 
Date: 
1858
Medium: 
Wood, ivory, metal
Dimensions: 
Overall: 1 3/4 x 3 3/4 x 1 in. ( 4.4 x 9.5 x 2.5 cm )
Description: 
Rectangular carved and painted block of relic wood from Seaman's Retreat, Staten Island; six sides decorated with; eagle with banner with inscription "E Pluribus Unum 1776;" a three-story building flanked by trees and berries; a snake with a bunch of berries; three crosses; a blue "x" over a white cross on a red ground (possibly the British flag); a white ivory or bone disk with inscription flanked by American flags and cornucopia.
Credit Line: 
Gift of Robert Brooks
Object Number: 
1952.292a
Marks: 
inscribed: in script on ivory disc; "A part of the House/ that Jack built/ Clarkson Crolius/ Prest of Trustees/ of/ Sms Rt/ 1858"
Gallery Label: 
Clarkson Crolius, Jr. (1806-1887) was the son of Clarkson Crolius Sr., a New York potter and politician. He was a trustee of the Seaman's Retreat in Staten Island and vice-president for its last twelve years, until it closed in 1882.
Date Begin: 
0
Date End: 
1858
eMuseum Object ID: 
26447
Due to ongoing research, information about this object is subject to change.

Wood ornament fragment

Classification: 
Date: 
1800-1900
Medium: 
Wood, paint
Dimensions: 
Overall: 3 x 1 x 3/4 in. ( 7.6 x 2.5 x 1.9 cm )
Description: 
Wood fragment with traces of green paint.
Object Number: 
INV.1091
Date Begin: 
0
Date End: 
1900
eMuseum Object ID: 
26415
Due to ongoing research, information about this object is subject to change.

Obelisk

Classification: 
Date: 
ca. 1864
Medium: 
Stone
Dimensions: 
Overall: 18 x 5 x 5 in. ( 45.7 x 12.7 x 12.7 cm )
Description: 
Obelisk of dark granite on square marble base; on shaft are two shields, one inscribed "1789," the other with a hole and residue from a now-missing attachment; inscribed on four sides of the base of the shaft, "WASHINGTON/ INAUGURATED FIRST PRESIDENT/ OF THE U.S. APRIL 30, 1789./ FEDERAL HALL NEW YORK;" inscribed on three of the four sides of the base, "TRENTON/ YORKTOWN/ A NEW YEARS GIFT TO THE NEW YORK HISTORICAL SOCIETY FROM THE COMMISSIONERS OF PUBLIC CHARITIES & CORRECTION. SIMEON DRAPER Prest ISAAC BELL MOSES H. GRINNELL JAS B. NICHOLSON 1ST JANUARY 1864; C.E. FINCH sculptr" on lower edge of base.
Credit Line: 
Gift of the Commissioners of Public Charities and Correction, 1864
Object Number: 
INV.249
Marks: 
inscribed: on four sides of the base of the shaft, "WASHINGTON/ INAUGURATED FIRST PRESIDENT/ OF THE U.S. APRIL 30, 1789./ FEDERAL HALL NEW YORK;" inscribed on three of the four sides of the base, "TRENTON/ YORKTOWN/ A NEW YEARS GIFT TO THE NEW YORK HISTOR
Gallery Label: 
According to the March 1, 1864, Minutes of the NYHS, this obelisk was made from a fragment of the pavement of the balcony of Federal Hall, on Wall St., on which George Washington stood for his inauguration for president in 1789. The 17th and 18th-century Federal Hall was replaced in 1842 by a Greek-Revival style structure.
Date Begin: 
0
Date End: 
1864
eMuseum Object ID: 
26411
Due to ongoing research, information about this object is subject to change.

Wooden end of hammock netting w/Liberty Cap carved in center from "Niagara"

Classification: 
Date: 
ca. 1813 or 1913
Medium: 
Wood, metal, paint
Dimensions: 
Overall: 19 1/2 x 12 5/8 x 3 in. ( 49.5 x 32.1 x 7.6 cm )
Description: 
Wooden end of hammock netting enclosure from the brig "Niagara," which figured prominently in the Battle of Lake Erie; irregularly-shaped slab of wood with rounded top, sides that curve slightly inward, and painted strip of sheet metal nailed to edge; Liberty cap within a shield hand-carved and painted on obverse; small, square brass plate inscribed with number "6" nailed near top of cap.
Credit Line: 
Gift of Richard C. McKay
Object Number: 
1933.249f
Marks: 
carved: on lower edge of cap: "LIBERTY" etched: on brass plate: "6"
Gallery Label: 
On September 10, 1813, Commodore Oliver H. Perry led his fleet to victory in the Battle of Lake Erie from the decks of the "Niagara." According to the accession records, this and other relics from the "Niagara" were given to the donor by Capt. William L. Morrison of Erie, Pennsylvania, who was in charge of raising the brig from the bottom of Lake Erie and reconstructing her in 1913 for the Perry Centennial Celebration. It has been suggested that this "relic" was actually made in 1913.
Date Begin: 
0
Date End: 
1913
eMuseum Object ID: 
26409
Due to ongoing research, information about this object is subject to change.

Baluster

Classification: 
Date: 
1889
Medium: 
Wood
Dimensions: 
Overall: 20 1/2 x 6 x 5 3/4 in. ( 52.1 x 15.2 x 14.6 cm )
Description: 
Turned wooden baluster (probably pine) with coat of tan paint, from the Washington Memorial Arch errected in 1889 in Washington Square, NYC. The temporary wooden arch was replaced by a marble arch designed by Stanford White in 1895.
Credit Line: 
Gift of Alice King
Object Number: 
Z.769
Marks: 
written: paper tag on base; "Balustrade from the Washington/ memorial Arch erected April 1889,/ Fifth Ave & Washington Square/ presented by Miss Alice king/ Oct. 16th 1889"
Gallery Label: 
Date Begin: 
0
Date End: 
1889
eMuseum Object ID: 
26407
Due to ongoing research, information about this object is subject to change.

Filigree leaf from Verdun

Classification: 
Date: 
1916-1917
Medium: 
Wood, glass, plant material
Dimensions: 
Overall: 4 3/4 x 6 3/4 x 1/2 in. ( 12.1 x 17.1 x 1.3 cm )
Description: 
Filigreed leaf (probably oak) that has been pierced to leave the silhouette of a field gun and the inscription "VERDUN;" in rectangular gold and black frame with pencil inscription on reverse.
Credit Line: 
Gift of Hortense A. Carney
Object Number: 
1936.490
Marks: 
pierced: on leaf, "VERDUN" written: in pencil on reverse; "made for me/ in the Trenches by a soldier/ wearing my knitted sweater/ hortense A. Carney/ 1916-1917/ At Verdun/ wearing socks + wristers (?) also/ Gift of/ Miss Hortense A. Carney."
Gallery Label: 
According to the accession records, this example of trench art was given to the donor by a soldier who had recieved a sweater from her.
Date Begin: 
0
Date End: 
1917
eMuseum Object ID: 
26404
Due to ongoing research, information about this object is subject to change.

Spike from the U.S.S. Niagara on wooden mount w/label

Classification: 
Date: 
ca. 1813
Medium: 
Iron, wood
Dimensions: 
Overall: 1 x 9 x 4 1/2 in. ( 2.5 x 22.9 x 11.4 cm )
Description: 
Iron spike or long nail moounted on wooden platform and labeled with brass plaque inscribed with "U.S.S. NIAGARA."
Credit Line: 
Gift of Rear Admiral Leo W. Hesselman
Object Number: 
1952.280
Marks: 
engraved: on brass plaque: "U.S.S. NIAGARA/ 1813" printed and handwritten: in card affixed to back of mount: "Rec'd from/ Loe. W. Hesselman/ Rear Admiral, N.Y. Naval Militia/ Captain, U.S. Naval Reserve/ July 21, 1952"
Gallery Label: 
According to the accession records, this spike came from the U.S.S. Niagara, which was stationed on Lake Erie under the command of Admiral Oliver Hazard Perry during the War of 1812. The spike was obtained when the ship was restored for the celebration of the centennial of Admiral Perry's victory over the British. The restoration took place in Presque Isle, PA, under the command of Lt. Comm. N.L. Morrison of the PA Naval Militia of Erie, PA.
Date Begin: 
0
Date End: 
1813
eMuseum Object ID: 
26362
Due to ongoing research, information about this object is subject to change.

Brick from Walton House

Classification: 
Date: 
1750-1752
Medium: 
Earthenware
Dimensions: 
Overall: 1 1/2 x 7 x 3 in. ( 3.8 x 17.8 x 7.6 cm )
Description: 
Brick or paver of buff-colored earthenware; attached paper label "Brick/ of the/ Walton House/ Pearl St NY."
Credit Line: 
Gift of Philip Corell
Object Number: 
1938.237
Marks: 
written: on label, "Brick/ of the/ Walton House/ Pearl St NY."
Gallery Label: 
This brick probably comes from the William Walton House, at 326 Pearl (formerly Queen) Street, NYC, erected in 1752 and demolished in 1881. See Harper's Weekly, November 12, 1881.
Date Begin: 
0
Date End: 
1752
eMuseum Object ID: 
26323
Due to ongoing research, information about this object is subject to change.

Brick from Walton House

Classification: 
Date: 
1750-1752
Medium: 
Earthenware
Dimensions: 
Overall: 1 1/2 x 7 1/4 x 3 in. ( 3.8 x 18.4 x 7.6 cm )
Description: 
Brick or paver of buff-colored earthenware with coat of pinkish paint or plaster; attached paper label "Old Holland Brick from the home of the/ Walton Family/ From Estate of Grace Lyde Gordon, deceased,/ March 25, 1920."
Credit Line: 
Gift of Grace Lyde Gordon
Object Number: 
1920.141
Marks: 
written: on paper label, "Old Holland Brick from the home of the/ Walton Family/ From Estate of Grace Lyde Gordon, deceased,/ march 25, 1920."
Gallery Label: 
This brick probably comes from the William Walton House, at 326 Pearl (formerly Queen) Street, NYC, erected in 1752 and demolished in 1881. See Harper's Weekly, November 12, 1881.
Date Begin: 
0
Date End: 
1752
eMuseum Object ID: 
26322
Due to ongoing research, information about this object is subject to change.

Framed pieces of the wood from the "Lawrence" and from flagstaff at Erie, PA

Classification: 
Date: 
1796-1910
Medium: 
Wood, paper, glass, paint
Dimensions: 
Overall: 7 1/2 x 8 1/4 x 1 1/4 in. ( 19 x 21 x 3.2 cm )
Description: 
Pieces of oak and cedar wood, parts of Commodore Oliver H. Perry's flagship, the "Lawrence," and a piece of chestnut wood from flagstaff beside the grave of General Anthony Wayne at Presque Isle, now Erie, Pennsylvania; mounted side by side on buff-colored paper and framed; with painted images of Perry's flag bearing the motto "DON'T GIVE UP THE SHIP" and Wayne's flag at Wabash, Indiana, and handwritten inscriptions.
Object Number: 
INV.841
Marks: 
handwritten in ink: above relics of the "Lawrence": "Oak and Cedar Wood; parts of / Commodore O. H. Perry's flag ship / "Lawrence," which carried the flag / bearing the motto, "Don't give up the / ship," at the battle of Lake Erie Sept. 18, / 1813.[in pen
Gallery Label: 
Anthony Wayne (1745-1796) was an active committeeman during the early Revolutionary movement and served with distinction in the Revolutionary War. He was commissioned brigadier-general in 1777.
Date Begin: 
0
Date End: 
1910
eMuseum Object ID: 
26283
Due to ongoing research, information about this object is subject to change.

Pages

Subscribe to RSS - HISTORIC RELICS
Creative: Tronvig Group