Update

Visitors ages 12 and older are required to show proof of vaccination against COVID-19. Learn more >

Plaster cast of Washington coat of arms

Classification: 
Date: 
ca. 1880
Medium: 
Plaster
Dimensions: 
overall1: 1/4 x 5 5/8 x 3 3/4 in. ( 0.6 x 14.3 x 9.5 cm )
Description: 
Rectangular plaster cast of coat of arms from 1538 of Washington family of Sulgrave, Northamptonshire, England, ancestors of George Washington; arms consists of shield with three stars at top and two bands across middle.
Object Number: 
Z.1414
Marks: 
incised: in plaster on reverse: "WASHINGTON/SULGRAVE/1538" pencilled: on reverse: illegible name (donor's name?) and date "1882"
Gallery Label: 
This coat of arms was used by George Washington's British ancestors who lived in Sulgrave, Northamptonshire, England.
Date Begin: 
0
Date End: 
1880
eMuseum Object ID: 
29481
Due to ongoing research, information about this object is subject to change.

Fragment of Delancey pine tree

Classification: 
Date: 
ca. 1600
Medium: 
Pine
Dimensions: 
Overall: 1 1/8 x 3 1/2 x 8 1/4 in. ( 2.9 x 8.9 x 21 cm )
Description: 
Fragment of Delancey pine tree, which stood on the East bank of the Bronx River at West Farms near 180th Street.
Object Number: 
Z.1413
Marks: 
written: on envelope containing fragment: "Piece of the/Delancey Pine tree/"Delanceys' Ancient Pine"/stood on the East Bank of the Bronx River at/West Farms near 180 St/above the Water Fall &/near Delanceys' Mills also/known as Lydigs'Mills"
Gallery Label: 
The "Delancey pine tree" stood on the East Bank of the Bronx River near the mansion of Lt. Col. James de Lancey. It is said that Washington stopped once in the de Lancey house when the patriots were in possession and that sharp-shooters and lookouts were stationed in the lofty branches of the great pine when de Lancey's men held the place. The pine was cut down in 1912 because it had become unsafe due to age.
Date Begin: 
0
Date End: 
1600
eMuseum Object ID: 
29474
Due to ongoing research, information about this object is subject to change.

Wood fragment from stage of Bowery Theatre

Classification: 
Date: 
ca. 1845
Medium: 
Wood
Dimensions: 
Overall: 1/8 x 5 x 1/2 in. ( 0.3 x 12.7 x 1.3 cm )
Description: 
Wood fragment inscribed in ink: "BOWERY THEATRE, N.Y. City."
Credit Line: 
Gift of Bertram Millar, 1947
Object Number: 
Z.1282
Marks: 
ink inscription: "BOWERY THEATRE, N.Y. City" ink inscrition: on accompanying note: "Piece of wood from the stage of the Bowery Theatre"
Gallery Label: 
This wood fragment is from the stage of the Bowery Theatre, which opened in 1826 at the corner of Canal Street and the Bowery. In its early years it was in competition with the Park Theatre on Park Row and offered a similar repertory, but by the 1830s it specialized in the melodrama and spectacle sought after by the residents of its immigrant neighborhood. The theater burned in 1828, 1830, 1836, 1838, and 1845 and was rebuilt each time. It burned for the last time in 1929.
Date Begin: 
0
Date End: 
1845
eMuseum Object ID: 
28952
Due to ongoing research, information about this object is subject to change.

Sections of railroad (2) in box

Classification: 
Date: 
1883
Medium: 
Steel
Dimensions: 
overall, with box: 1/2 x 4 3/4 x 4 3/4 in. ( 1.3 x 12.1 x 12.1 cm )
Description: 
Two cross sections of Northern Pacific Railroad steel track engraved with inscriptions; housed in cardboard box.
Credit Line: 
Gift of Waldron Phoenix Belkamp, Jr.
Object Number: 
1945.442abc
Marks: 
engraved: (a) on face: "CONNECTING/LAKE SUPERIOR/AND/PUGET SOUND" engraved: (a) on reverse: "N.P.R.R./LAST RAIL" engraved: (b) on face: "LAST RAIL./N.P.R.R."
Gallery Label: 
These are two sections of the last rail of the Northern Pacific Railroad connecting Lake Superior with Puget Sound, laid in 1883.
Date Begin: 
0
Date End: 
1883
eMuseum Object ID: 
28951
Due to ongoing research, information about this object is subject to change.

Fragment of Confederate flag from ram "Tennessee"

Classification: 
Date: 
1860-1865
Medium: 
Cotton; glass, cardboard
Dimensions: 
Framed: 5 x 4 x 1/8 in. (12.7 x 10.2 x 0.3 cm)
Description: 
Fragment of Confederate flag in glass frame with oval mat; cotton flag with red and blue sections; flag from masthead of rebel ram "Tennessee." "Rebel flag...mast head of Rebel??"
Credit Line: 
Gift of Mrs. Morgan Grinnell
Object Number: 
1930.68
Marks: 
ink inscription: on back of frame: "Henry had a letter from/his substitute the other/day, in it was enclosed/these pieces of a rebel/flag which floated at/the masthead of the/Rebel Ram Tenessee/Salem December 1864"
Gallery Label: 
This Confederate flag fragment is from the masthead of the rebel ram "Tennessee" and was among a group of Civil War relics collected by Dr. John Osgood Stone (1813-1876). According to the inscription on the back of the frame, the fragment was obtained by a substitute who mailed it back to Henry Stone in Salem, MA.
Date Begin: 
0
Date End: 
1865
eMuseum Object ID: 
28746
Due to ongoing research, information about this object is subject to change.

Rock fragment

Classification: 
Date: 
1800-1900
Medium: 
Rock
Dimensions: 
Overall: 1 1/4 x 1 1/8 x 3/8 in. ( 3.2 x 2.9 x 1 cm )
Description: 
Smokey brown rock ragment with one side chipped away to form a straight, sharp edge.
Object Number: 
Z.1152
Date Begin: 
0
Date End: 
1900
eMuseum Object ID: 
28655
Due to ongoing research, information about this object is subject to change.

Piece of iron from the "Monitor"

Classification: 
Date: 
ca. 1862
Medium: 
Iron, wood, glass, paper
Dimensions: 
Overall: 10 5/8 x 6 5/8 x 1 3/8 in. ( 27 x 16.8 x 3.5 cm )
Description: 
Square piece of iron from the port shutter of the naval vessel U.S.S. "Monitor"; mounted in wooden frame with handwritten inscriptions.
Credit Line: 
Gift of Mrs. Francis Rogers
Object Number: 
1949.254
Marks: 
handwritten in ink: on paper affixed to surface of iron: "Fragment of the / Port Shutter of the / Original Monitor" handwritten in ink: on paper affixed below relic: "After the engagement between / the "Monitor" & "Merrimac", the port / shutter of the "M
Gallery Label: 
The U.S.S. Monitor was designed by Capt. John Ericsson and built at Greenpoint, Brooklyn in 1862. It was the first ironclad naval vessel with a revolving gun turret and became renowned when it forced the retreat of the confederate ironclad vessel "Merrimac" and revolutionized marine warfare. The donor, Mrs. Francis Rogers (née Cornelia Barnes), was the daughter of Captain John S. Barnes.
Date Begin: 
0
Date End: 
1862
eMuseum Object ID: 
28551
Due to ongoing research, information about this object is subject to change.

Ballot box

Classification: 
Date: 
ca. 1857
Medium: 
Glass, iron
Dimensions: 
Overall: 13 x 12 5/8 x 12 5/8 in. ( 33 x 32.1 x 32.1 cm )
Description: 
Spherical blown glass vessel housed in square iron framework; glass vessel with circular opening at top and pontil mark at base; iron framework consisting of two square horizontal members with pierced decorative ironwork of scrolling foliage, supported by four pillars; circular iron lid at top with loop for lock; engraved brass plaque.
Credit Line: 
Gift of George H. Dean
Object Number: 
1919.10ab
Marks: 
cast: on iron lid: "JOLLIE/PATENT APPLIED FOR" engraved: on brass plaque on top of frame: "BALLOT BOX/USED IN THE CITY OF NEW YORK PRIOR TO 1870/PRESENTED BY/GEORGE H. DEAN/MARCH 8, 1919"
Gallery Label: 
In 1858, Samuel Jollie patented a transparent ballot box, designed so "that the bystanders may see every ballot which is put in, see all the ballots that are in, and see them taken out." Jollie sold 1200 of his cast iron and glass boxes to New York City in time for the 1857 election.
Date Begin: 
0
Date End: 
1857
eMuseum Object ID: 
28548
Due to ongoing research, information about this object is subject to change.

Coffin plate

Classification: 
Date: 
1846
Medium: 
Metal (possibly nickel silver)
Dimensions: 
Overall: 2 5/8 x 4 1/2 in. ( 6.7 x 11.4 cm )
Description: 
Rectangular flat metal coffin plate with engraved inscription; hole punched at each end of plate to fasten plate to surface.
Credit Line: 
Gift of Miss Lillian Gibbs, March 6, 1952
Object Number: 
INV.6577
Marks: 
engraved: in script on coffin plate: "Pelitiah Stevens/Died Sept. 15. 1846;/Aged 79 Years."
Gallery Label: 
According to an inscription on the envelope, Pelitiah Stevens was probably the ancestor of Mrs. Mary (Stevens) Mann, wife of Levi Mann (born 1813) of Randolph, MA, and of Kappa, IL. The Manns were the grandparents of Miss Lillian E. Childs, daughter of Edwin and Mary A. (Mann) Childs, of El Paso, TX.
Date Begin: 
0
Date End: 
1846
eMuseum Object ID: 
28425
Due to ongoing research, information about this object is subject to change.

Coffin plate

Classification: 
Date: 
1854
Medium: 
Metal
Dimensions: 
Overall: 1/8 x 3 5/8 x 5 1/4 in. ( 0.3 x 9.2 x 13.3 cm )
Description: 
Metal coffin plate with four sides, each curved in serpentine shape to point, with chased, beaded border, with engraved inscription reading "Sarah Smith Aged 25 Years 9 months + 23 days Died Dec 11th 1854"; four holes punched at each side of plate to fasten plate to surface.
Credit Line: 
Gift of Dr. Thomas O. Mabbott
Object Number: 
1939.393
Marks: 
engraved: on coffin plate: "Sarah Smith/Aged 25 Years/9 months + 23 days/Died Dec 11th 1854"
Date Begin: 
0
Date End: 
1854
eMuseum Object ID: 
28397
Due to ongoing research, information about this object is subject to change.

Pages

Subscribe to RSS - HISTORIC RELICS
Creative: Tronvig Group