Expanded Hours

We're now open Wednesdays through Sundays! Proof of vaccination is required. Learn more >

Matting from the U.S.S. "Cumberland"

Classification: 
Date: 
1860-1862
Medium: 
Jute
Dimensions: 
Overall: 1/8 x 7 1/4 x 5 1/4 in. ( 0.3 x 18.4 x 13.3 cm )
Description: 
Rectangle of braided jute matting from the maintop of the U.S. sailing frigate "Cumberland," rammed and sunk by the Confederate ironclad "Merrimac"in 1862.
Credit Line: 
Gift of Mrs. Charles S. Fairchild
Object Number: 
1926.94
Gallery Label: 
This section of matting is from the maintop of the U.S. sailing frigate "Cumberland," which was rammed and sunk by the Confederate ironclad "Merrimac" in Hampton Roads, Virginia, March 8, 1862.
Date Begin: 
0
Date End: 
1862
eMuseum Object ID: 
30281
Due to ongoing research, information about this object is subject to change.

Fragment of wood from Collis P. Huntington mansion

Classification: 
Date: 
1889-1894
Medium: 
Wood
Dimensions: 
Overall: 3/8 x 5 1/2 x 1 in. ( 1 x 14 x 2.5 cm )
Description: 
Fragment of molding from the Huntington mansion on 5th Avenue and 57th Street; the molding consists of a large bead with cove below; varnished on one side.
Credit Line: 
Gift of Bertram Millar, 1947
Object Number: 
Z.1431
Marks: 
ink inscription: on back of fragment: "HUNTINGTON MANSION, 5 AV. and 57 St./TORN DOWN 1926" ink inscription: on paper bag accompanying fragment: "Piece of wood from the/Collis P. Huntington mansion,/5th Ave. and 57th St."
Gallery Label: 
This fragment is a piece of molding from the interior of the Collis P. Huntington mansion, which was located on 5th Avenue and 57th Street. The house was designed by George B. Post and built between 1889 and 1894. It was torn down in 1926.
Date Begin: 
0
Date End: 
1894
eMuseum Object ID: 
30142
Due to ongoing research, information about this object is subject to change.

Stone fragment from steps of Chauncey Depew house

Classification: 
Date: 
1880-1900
Medium: 
Stone
Dimensions: 
Overall: 1 1/2 x 3 1/4 x 1 1/4 in. ( 3.8 x 8.3 x 3.2 cm )
Description: 
Stone fragment from the front steps of the Chauncey Depew house in New York City.
Credit Line: 
Gift of Bertram Millar, 1947
Object Number: 
Z.1430
Marks: 
ink inscription: on paper accompanying stone: "Fragment of stone from the front/steps of Chauncey Depew's residence,/27 W. 54th St."
Gallery Label: 
This stone fragment is from the front steps of the Chauncey Depew residence at 27 W. 54th Street.
Date Begin: 
0
Date End: 
1900
eMuseum Object ID: 
30138
Due to ongoing research, information about this object is subject to change.

Hook

Classification: 
Date: 
1750-1775
Medium: 
Iron, wood
Dimensions: 
Overall: 1 3/4 x 9 3/4 x 3 1/4 in. ( 4.4 x 24.8 x 8.3 cm )
Description: 
Wrought iron hook from Hicks House in Bayside; hook with shaft formed around tapering section of wood; wrought nail with square head joins iron to wood core.
Object Number: 
Z.1429
Marks: 
pencil inscription: on paper accomanying object: "Hicks House/Revolutionary/House-Bayside./Sept. 18 - 1937"
Gallery Label: 
According to a note with the object, this hook is from the Hicks House, a Revolutionary-period house in Bayside.
Date Begin: 
0
Date End: 
1775
eMuseum Object ID: 
30137
Due to ongoing research, information about this object is subject to change.

Fragment of wood from the Astor Mansion

Classification: 
Date: 
1891-1895
Medium: 
Pine, paint
Dimensions: 
Overall: 1/2 x 7 x 1 in. ( 1.3 x 17.8 x 2.5 cm )
Description: 
Fragment of pine from the Astor Mansion at 5th Avenue and 65th Street; painted cream color on one side.
Credit Line: 
Gift of Bertram Millar, 1947
Object Number: 
Z.1423
Marks: 
ink inscription: on fragment: "From the Astor Mansion, 5 Ave. and 65 St./New York. Torn down in 1926"
Gallery Label: 
This fragment of wood is from the Astor Mansion at 5th Avenue and 65th Street, which was built by John Jacob Astor IV between 1891 and 1895 and torn down in 1926. The house was designed by Richard Morris Hunt.
Date Begin: 
0
Date End: 
1895
eMuseum Object ID: 
30136
Due to ongoing research, information about this object is subject to change.

Iron hook and fragment from Saratoga battlefield

Classification: 
Date: 
1750-1775
Medium: 
Iron
Dimensions: 
Overall (a, hook): 1/2 × 10 1/2 × 1 1/2 in. (1.3 × 26.7 × 3.8 cm) Overall (b, fragment): 5 in. × 1/2 in. (12.7 ×
Description: 
Iron fragments from William Haskin's farm at the Saratoga battlefield; (a) an iron rod with a hook on the end; (b) a flat iron fragment with a pointed end.
Object Number: 
Z.1428ab
Marks: 
typed: on tag accompanying objects: "William Haskin's Farm,/West of Vivtory Woods./Saratoga Battle Field./Oct. 20th, 1939."
Gallery Label: 
These iron fragments are from the William Haskin's farm at Saratoga, New York, located near the spot were General Burgoyne surrendered on October 17, 1777.
Date Begin: 
0
Date End: 
1775
eMuseum Object ID: 
30099
Due to ongoing research, information about this object is subject to change.

Fragments (3) from William A. Clark mansion

Classification: 
Date: 
1907
Medium: 
Wood, quartz
Dimensions: 
Overall (a, quartz): 1 1/4 in. × 2 1/4 in. × 2 in. (3.2 × 5.7 × 5.1 cm) Each (b and c, wood fragments): 1/8 × 5 ×
Description: 
Three fragments from the William A. Clark mansion at 5th Avenue and 77th Street; (a), an irregularly-shaped piece of quartz, and (b, c) two sections of wood with a metal prong on one end, from the window screens at the Clarke mansion.
Credit Line: 
Gift of Bertram Millar, 1947
Object Number: 
Z.1425a-c
Marks: 
ink inscription: on label attached to quartz: "From Senator W.A. Clark's/mansion, 5 Ave. and/77 St., New York./Torn down 1927." ink inscription: on paper bag accompanying fragments: "Two pieces of wood from a/window screen of W.A. Clark's/mansion"
Gallery Label: 
These fragments are from the William A. Clark mansion, designed by Lord, Hewlett and Hull and Henri Deglane, and built at 5th Avenue and 77th Street. At a cost of $5 million, it was reportedly the most expensive private residence ever built in New York City. It was torn down in 1927.
Date Begin: 
0
Date End: 
1907
eMuseum Object ID: 
30096
Due to ongoing research, information about this object is subject to change.

Nails (2) from Trinity Church

Classification: 
Date: 
1700-1750
Medium: 
Iron
Dimensions: 
Overall: 1/2 x 6 x 1/2 in. ( 1.3 x 15.2 x 1.3 cm )
Description: 
Two wrought iron nails from Trinity Church; nails have square heads and square, tapering shafts.
Credit Line: 
Gift of Robert Seelav, 1947
Object Number: 
Z.1424ab
Marks: 
ink inscription: on envelope containing nails: "6/14/47 / These were picked up by a/laborer and presented to me. They/come from some old fixtures of/Trinity. I gave a few to Mr. Upjohn, /the architect, who said he'd consult Hammecher-Schlemmer or someon
Gallery Label: 
These nails were used in building Trinity Church, located on Broadway at the head of Wall Street.
Date Begin: 
0
Date End: 
1750
eMuseum Object ID: 
30095
Due to ongoing research, information about this object is subject to change.

Window glass fragments (3) from St. Paul's Chapel

Classification: 
Date: 
1766
Medium: 
Glass
Dimensions: 
Overall (a): 1/8 × 3 1/8 × 2 1/2 in. (0.3 × 7.9 × 6.4 cm) Overall (b): 1/8 × 2 1/2 × 2 1/8 in. (0.3 × 6.4 × 5.4
Description: 
Three fragments of green-stained translucent glass from St. Paul's Chapel in New York City; remnants of paper around edges.
Object Number: 
Z.1422a-c
Marks: 
ink inscription: on note adhering to (a): "From the original windows/of St. Paul's Chapel, Vesey/St. and Broadway, New/York, which were removed/in 1927" ink inscription: on note adhering to (b): "From the original windows/of St. Paul's Chapel, Vesey/St.
Gallery Label: 
These window fragments are from St. Paul's Chapel, which was completed in 1766 at Broadway and Fulton Streets in New York City for Anglicans living beyond convenient walking distance from Trinity Church. The Chapel, which was used for a thanksgiving service for George Washington on 30 April 1789 after his inauguration as president, is the oldest public building in continuous use in Manhattan.
Date Begin: 
0
Date End: 
1766
eMuseum Object ID: 
30093
Due to ongoing research, information about this object is subject to change.

Fragment of Confederate secession flag flown at Fort Sumter

Classification: 
Date: 
1861-1865
Medium: 
Wool
Dimensions: 
Overall: 2 1/4 x 3 in. ( 5.7 x 7.6 cm )
Description: 
Rectangular blue wool fragment from the Confederate flag flown at Fort Sumter.
Credit Line: 
Gift of Miss Esther Karst, 1943
Object Number: 
INV.12237
Marks: 
pencil inscription: on card accompanying fragment: "A piece of the/Secession Flag taken from/defended in/Fort Sumpter (sic)/at the time of/the bombardment" pencil inscription: on envelope containing fragment: "Piece of Secession flag at/Ft. Sumpter (sic)
Gallery Label: 
This fragment is from the Confederate flag which was flown over Fort Sumter, in Charleston harbor, after the Confederates attacked the federal garrison there on April 12, 1861.
Date Begin: 
0
Date End: 
1865
eMuseum Object ID: 
30092
Due to ongoing research, information about this object is subject to change.

Pages

Subscribe to RSS - HISTORIC RELICS
Creative: Tronvig Group