Announcement

Due to a private event, the New-York Historical Society will be closed on Wednesday, October 27 – Friday, October 29. We'll reopen at 11 am ET on Saturday, October 30.

Embroidery floss sample card (one of a set of five)

Classification: 
Is owned by NYHS: 
Yes
Object name: 
Date: 
1960s
Medium: 
Cardboard, cotton
Dimensions: 
Smallest: 8 3/4 × 5 1/2 in. (22.2 × 14 cm) Largest: 9 1/8 × 6 in. (23.2 × 15.2 cm)
Place Made: 
Description: 
Credit Line: 
Gift of the Surmach Family
Object Number: 
2017.5.6c
Marks: 
Inscriptions: 
Gallery Label: 

For nearly a century, Surma Books & Music Co. was a cultural hub for New York City’s Ukrainian immigrant centered community in the East Village, also known as Little Ukraine. Until its closure in 2016, the store had been located at 11 East Seventh Street since 1943.

Myron Surmach Sr., its founder, arrived at Ellis Island from the Ukraine in 1910. He settled in New York City after working various odd jobs in New Jersey and Pennsylvania. Joining a Czech gymnastics group prompted him to open his shop in 1918 to sell gym clothing and Ukrainian books. It evolved into a general store, selling phonographs and washing machines, but Surmach also offered services such as letter reading. The business grew to include ethnic music publishing during the 1920s and 1930s.

During the 1950s, the store’s offerings shifted toward the marketing of “folk” through craft items and publications. In addition to selling traditional craft, Surma offered the tools and supplies to practice them, including a large selection embroidery flosses and fabrics, as well as jacquard ribbons with “folk” patterns, albeit made in Germany.

Provenance: 
Bibliography: 
Prior Exhibitions: 
Date Begin: 
0
Date End: 
1969
eMuseum Object ID: 
83701
Exclude from TMS update: 
3
Due to ongoing research, information about this object is subject to change.

Embroidery floss sample card (one of a set of five)

Classification: 
Is owned by NYHS: 
Yes
Object name: 
Date: 
1960s
Medium: 
Cardboard, cotton
Dimensions: 
Smallest: 8 3/4 × 5 1/2 in. (22.2 × 14 cm) Largest: 9 1/8 × 6 in. (23.2 × 15.2 cm)
Place Made: 
Description: 
Credit Line: 
Gift of the Surmach Family
Object Number: 
2017.5.6b
Marks: 
Inscriptions: 
Gallery Label: 

For nearly a century, Surma Books & Music Co. was a cultural hub for New York City’s Ukrainian immigrant centered community in the East Village, also known as Little Ukraine. Until its closure in 2016, the store had been located at 11 East Seventh Street since 1943.

Myron Surmach Sr., its founder, arrived at Ellis Island from the Ukraine in 1910. He settled in New York City after working various odd jobs in New Jersey and Pennsylvania. Joining a Czech gymnastics group prompted him to open his shop in 1918 to sell gym clothing and Ukrainian books. It evolved into a general store, selling phonographs and washing machines, but Surmach also offered services such as letter reading. The business grew to include ethnic music publishing during the 1920s and 1930s.

During the 1950s, the store’s offerings shifted toward the marketing of “folk” through craft items and publications. In addition to selling traditional craft, Surma offered the tools and supplies to practice them, including a large selection embroidery flosses and fabrics, as well as jacquard ribbons with “folk” patterns, albeit made in Germany.

Provenance: 
Bibliography: 
Prior Exhibitions: 
Date Begin: 
0
Date End: 
1969
eMuseum Object ID: 
83700
Exclude from TMS update: 
3
Due to ongoing research, information about this object is subject to change.

Embroidery floss sample card (one of a set of five)

Classification: 
Is owned by NYHS: 
Yes
Object name: 
Date: 
1960s
Medium: 
Cardboard, cotton
Dimensions: 
Smallest: 8 3/4 × 5 1/2 in. (22.2 × 14 cm) Largest: 9 1/8 × 6 in. (23.2 × 15.2 cm)
Place Made: 
Description: 
Credit Line: 
Gift of the Surmach Family
Object Number: 
2017.5.6a
Marks: 
Inscriptions: 
Gallery Label: 

For nearly a century, Surma Books & Music Co. was a cultural hub for New York City’s Ukrainian immigrant centered community in the East Village, also known as Little Ukraine. Until its closure in 2016, the store had been located at 11 East Seventh Street since 1943.

Myron Surmach Sr., its founder, arrived at Ellis Island from the Ukraine in 1910. He settled in New York City after working various odd jobs in New Jersey and Pennsylvania. Joining a Czech gymnastics group prompted him to open his shop in 1918 to sell gym clothing and Ukrainian books. It evolved into a general store, selling phonographs and washing machines, but Surmach also offered services such as letter reading. The business grew to include ethnic music publishing during the 1920s and 1930s.

During the 1950s, the store’s offerings shifted toward the marketing of “folk” through craft items and publications. In addition to selling traditional craft, Surma offered the tools and supplies to practice them, including a large selection embroidery flosses and fabrics, as well as jacquard ribbons with “folk” patterns, albeit made in Germany.

Provenance: 
Bibliography: 
Prior Exhibitions: 
Date Begin: 
0
Date End: 
1969
eMuseum Object ID: 
78749
Exclude from TMS update: 
3
Due to ongoing research, information about this object is subject to change.

Kerchief

Classification: 
Date: 
ca. 1980
Medium: 
Acetate
Dimensions: 
Overall: 26 7/8 x 27 in. ( 68.3 x 68.6 cm )
Description: 
White square kerchief printed in red and blue with Republican party logo of elephant. Inscribed: "(C) Republican National Committee" and "Jack Frost Design."
Credit Line: 
Gift of John and Jennifer Monksy
Object Number: 
2004.6.2
Marks: 
label: "100% ACETATE/Made in Italy"
Gallery Label: 
This kerchief was created by Jack Frost Design, the firm responsible for the Republican National Committee logo and graphics for the Ford and Reagan campaigns. The elephant as a symbol of the Republican Party was a product of the imagination of cartoonist Thomas Nast and first appeared in Harper's Weekly in 1874.
Date Begin: 
0
Date End: 
1980
eMuseum Object ID: 
55325
Due to ongoing research, information about this object is subject to change.

Scarf

Classification: 
Date: 
ca. 1992
Medium: 
Polyester
Dimensions: 
Overall: 10 x 54 in. ( 25.4 x 137.2 cm )
Description: 
Rectangular scarf in blue polyester with red and white borders; printed with the signatures of the presidents from Washington to Clinton. Inscribed: "The PRESIDENTS" and signed "Millicent."
Credit Line: 
Gift of John and Jennifer Monksy
Object Number: 
2004.6.1
Marks: 
label: "T & M Designers/Made in Italy/100% Polyester/[care instructions]"
Gallery Label: 
This scarf, probably made during the presidency of Bill Clinton, bears facsimile signatures of all 42 presidents from George Washington to Bill Clinton.
Date Begin: 
0
Date End: 
1992
eMuseum Object ID: 
55324
Due to ongoing research, information about this object is subject to change.

Afghan: pink and gray squares w/black trim

Classification: 
Date: 
1900-1950
Medium: 
Wool
Dimensions: 
Overall: 52 x 50 x 1/4 in. ( 132.1 x 127 x 0.6 cm )
Description: 
Knitted wool afghan composed of alternating pink and gray squares crocheted together with black yarn; black crocheted border with scalloped edge.
Credit Line: 
Gift of Miss Edna H. Robertson
Object Number: 
1950.1
Gallery Label: 
According to the accession records, the donor received this afghan directly from the maker.
Date Begin: 
0
Date End: 
1950
eMuseum Object ID: 
14112
Due to ongoing research, information about this object is subject to change.

Flour sack fragment

Classification: 
Date: 
ca. 1857
Medium: 
Cotton
Dimensions: 
Overall: 25 3/4 x 32 1/2 in. (65.4 x 82.6 cm)
Description: 
Fragment of a flour sack. Intact imprint in red depicts a crest-like image with text in center: “48 Lbs. / CLINTON MILLS / EXTRA / FLOUR / FRESH GROUND / AND / Put up expressly / FOR FAMILY USE.” Text is surrounded by such foliage as leaves and berries and farm imagery, including a scythe, farmer and barrels. At top right is a train being loaded with sacks of flour. At top left is a depiction of Demeter, Greek goddess of the harvest, with her typical attributes of wheat and a string of flowers. Beneath image text reads: “PHENIX BAG FACTORY, 242 (LATE NO. 3) CANAL STREET, N.Y.”
Credit Line: 
Gift of Connecticut Historical Society
Object Number: 
2012.22
Marks: 
“48 Lbs. / CLINTON MILLS / EXTRA / FLOUR / FRESH GROUND / AND / Put up expressly / FOR FAMILY USE.” “PHENIX BAG FACTORY, 242 (LATE NO. 3) CANAL STREET, N.Y.”
Gallery Label: 
While the Phenix Bag Factory does not appear in any New York City directory in the 19th century, the address on the sack provides clues as to the year it was produced. “Late No. 3” in the address “242 (LATE NO. 3) CANAL STREET, N.Y.” refers to the factory’s previous address (3 Canal Street) before the street was renumbered. Canal Street was extended in 1855, but it appears that the renumbering did not affect this bagging company (Woodworth Giles & Son) until 1857, when their address was changed in the city directory from 3 to 242 Canal Street.
Date Begin: 
0
Date End: 
1857
eMuseum Object ID: 
68904
Due to ongoing research, information about this object is subject to change.

Sampler made at Colored Public School No. 3, Williamsburg, Brooklyn

Classification: 
Date: 
ca. 1845-1850
Medium: 
Wool and silk on linen
Dimensions: 
Frame: 17 x 19 in. (43.2 x 48.3 cm)
Description: 
Linen sampler worked in wool and silk; stitched with upper and lowercase alphabets and numbers, followed by "Colored P School No. [3] Williamsburg / Sarah Ricks"; strawberry and vine border.
Credit Line: 
Purchase
Object Number: 
2012.11
Gallery Label: 
This sampler was made by Sarah Ricks (ca. 1835-?), a student at Colored School Public School No. 3 in Williamsburg, Brooklyn, around 1845-50. Colored Public School No. 3 evolved from the town of Williamsburg's original African Free School, which was founded prior to 1841 by local black leaders including Samuel Ricks (1805-1886), Sarah's father. When the Williamsburg district school system was established in 1844, the African Free School was taken over by the trustees and placed in a district school building on North 1st Street between Third Street (now Berry Street) and Fourth Street (now Bedford Avenue). In 1845, the school had 70 students, and by 1850 enrollment had grown to 145 students, necessitating relocation of the school to a building at Union Avenue and Keap Street. A later building of Colored School No. 3 (later renamed P.S. 69), built in 1879-81 in the Romanesque Revival style, still stands at 270 Union Avenue. Little is known about Sarah Ricks. Her father appears to have been a prominent African American figure in Williamsburg, then the second largest black community in Kings County. In addition to establishing the African Free School with community leaders, he was a member of the first Board of Trustees of the Zion African Methodist Episcopal Church, which was organized in 1832 and erected its first building on North 2nd Street in 1844. Ricks also belonged to a group of Kings County abolitionists. His attendance at a convention of the county's abolitionists in 1841 is mentioned in the Emancipator in 1841. In the 1850 census, the Ricks (Rix) family was comprised of Samuel, a laborer, Sarah, age 16, and her four sisters. All were designated as mulatto by the census taker. In the 1860 census, Sarah (identified as black) is documented as living with her older sister, Martha, and Martha's husband James Jackson. Sarah had a five-month-old daughter, Augusta. Both she and Augusta disappear from record after that date.
Provenance: 
Purchased from Neverbird Antiques, Surry, VA.
Date Begin: 
0
Date End: 
1850
eMuseum Object ID: 
68426
Due to ongoing research, information about this object is subject to change.

Calico fragment that came through Confederate blockades during the Civil War

Classification: 
Date: 
ca. 1861-1865
Medium: 
Printed cotton
Dimensions: 
Overall: 11 x 1 1/2 in. (27.9 x 3.8 cm)
Description: 
Fragment of printed cotton fabric in checker pattern with solid blue checks and "spotted" brown; in old envelope inscribed in pencil: "Ran the blockade during the last civil war"
Credit Line: 
Gift from the Family of Beatrice D. Gunther
Object Number: 
2012.9.2
Gallery Label: 
This calico fragment belonged to New Yorker Samuel Phillips Dill (1834-1902), who served in the Civil War with the 173rd Regiment, New York State Volunteers. While fighting in the southwest he was captured and spent fourteen months in the Confederate prison at Camp Ford near Tyler, Texas. Dill wrote an account of his escape and recapture in 1867, a copy of which is in the N-YHS Library. The library also holds a copy of "A Brief Sketch of the 173rd Regiment" (1868) by Dill and a copy of the Camp Ford newspaper, "The Old Flag," which was also reportedly written by Dill. The fragment of calico was presumably saved by Dill, who may have cut it off a bolt or larger piece that came through the blockade of Confederate ports during the war. Most likely it is English calico, but it could possibly be of northern manufacture, and run into a southern port via Bermuda, Cuba, or Mexico by a small blockade runner coastal ship.
Date Begin: 
0
Date End: 
1865
eMuseum Object ID: 
68423
Due to ongoing research, information about this object is subject to change.

"Camp Ford Prisoner"

Classification: 
Date: 
ca. 1880
Medium: 
Silk
Dimensions: 
Overall: 6 1/2 x 2 1/4 in. (16.5 x 5.7 cm)
Description: 
Silk ribbon printed in blue and red, "CAMP FORD / PRISONER / 19 [within flag] / 173d / REGIMENT, / N.Y.S.V."
Credit Line: 
Gift from the Family of Beatrice D. Gunther
Object Number: 
2012.9.1
Gallery Label: 
This ribbon belonged to New Yorker Samuel Phillips Dill (1834-1902), who served in the Civil War with the 173rd Regiment, New York State Volunteers. While fighting in the southwest he was captured and spent fourteen months in the Confederate prison at Camp Ford near Tyler, Texas. Dill wrote an account of his escape and recapture in 1867, a copy of which is in the N-YHS Library. The library also holds a copy of "A Brief Sketch of the 173rd Regiment" (1868) by Dill and a copy of the Camp Ford newspaper, "The Old Flag," which was also reportedly written by Dill. The Camp Ford prisoner ribbon was likely made after the war, possibly for a reunion of 173rd Regiment prisoners.
Date Begin: 
0
Date End: 
1885
eMuseum Object ID: 
68422
Due to ongoing research, information about this object is subject to change.

Pages

Subscribe to RSS - TEXTILES
Creative: Tronvig Group