Carolina Parakeet (Conuropsis carolinensis), Havell plate no. 26

Classification: 
Is owned by NYHS: 
Yes
Date: 
c. 1825
Medium: 
Watercolor, graphite, pastel, gouache, and black ink with scraping and selective glazing on paper, laid on card
Dimensions: 
Mat: 40 x 30 in. (101.6 x 76.2 cm) Sheet: 29 3/4 × 21 1/4 in. (75.6 × 54 cm)
Description: 
Lower center bird immature; others adults
Credit Line: 
Purchased for the Society by public subscription from Mrs. John J. Audubon
Object Number: 
1863.17.26
Marks: 
Watermark at upper left: JWHATMAN / 181[?] [reversed]
Inscriptions: 
Inscribed at lower left in graphite: "No 6 / Plate 26 ---"; at lower left of center: "Carolina Parrot. Males 1. F. 2. Young 3 / Psitacus carolinensis"; at lower right of center: "Plant Vulgo -- Cockle Burr."; at lower right: "The upper Specimen was shot near Bayou Sarah / and appeared So uncommon having 14 Tail feathers all very / distinct and firmly affixed in 14 diferent receptacles that I / drew it more to exhibit one of those astonishing fits of Nature / than any thing else -- it was a female -- / The Green headed is also a singular although not / uncomon a Variety as the above one -- -- / Louisianna -- December --- J.J. Audubon"; birds identified clockwise from lower center: "female"; "Male"; "Female"; "Female N[?] / 14 Tail feathers"; "Male"; "Male[crossed out]"; below: "Young --"; erased inscriptions thoughout
Gallery Label: 
The background flora has been identified as Cocklebur (Xanthium sturmarium).
Provenance: 
Mrs. John J. (Lucy Bakewell) Audubon
Date Begin: 
0
Date End: 
1825
eMuseum Object ID: 
27085
Exclude from TMS update: 
OFF
Due to ongoing research, information about this object is subject to change.

Baby walker

Classification: 
Collections: 
Is owned by NYHS: 
Yes
Highlight: 
Display this item in the highlights
Date: 
1700-1750
Medium: 
Cherry (by microanalysis)
Dimensions: 
Overall: 15 x 25 3/4 x 25 3/4 in. ( 38.1 x 65.4 x 65.4 cm )
Description: 
Cherry baby walker consisting of horizontal ring supported by four raked, turned legs; with base consisting of square frame with shaped inner edge mounted on four short legs with wooden casters.
Credit Line: 
Purchased from Elie Nadelman
Object Number: 
INV.14959
Marks: 
Circular adhesive label on underside of stretcher: "247 / ger" (Nadelman collection sticker)
Gallery Label: 
This baby walker is a form typical of Netherlandish walkers called a "loopwagen." Few American examples are known, a scarcity that is not surprising in view of their delicate construction. Dutch book illustrations and paintings of the 17th and 18th centuries show similar baby walkers and attest to their popularity. Like their twentieth-century counterparts, they gave toddlers circumscribed mobility.
Provenance: 
Purchased from Elie Nadelman
Date Begin: 
0
Date End: 
1750
eMuseum Object ID: 
26111
Due to ongoing research, information about this object is subject to change.

Armchair

Classification: 
Collections: 
Is owned by NYHS: 
Yes
Highlight: 
Display this item in the highlights
Date: 
1856-1857
Medium: 
Oak
Dimensions: 
Overall: 65 x 31 x 27 in. ( 165.1 x 78.7 x 68.6 cm )
Description: 
Oak Renaissance Revival armchair made of relic wood from Washington's New York City residence; tall back with arched crest rail surmounted with removable carved eagle, stiles project above back and are decorated with medallions with the seals of New York State and City (left and right sides respectively), back contains open strapwork with central upholstered oval panel flanked by initials "G" and "W" and surmounted by bust of Washington; open upholstered arms with eagle-head hand-holds amid curved guilloche-carved supports; upholstered trapezoidal seat with paneled front seat rail with central carved Federal shield; turned legs with castors; plaque with inscription on rear seat rail; modern black horsehair upholstery.
Credit Line: 
Gift of Benjamin Robert Winthrop
Object Number: 
1857.11
Marks: 
engraved: on silver plaque on rear seat rail; "This Chair/ was made from timber of the house/ in which GEORGE WASHINGTON resided/ when first inaugurated president of the/ UNITED STATES/ Presented by Benjamin R. Winthrop/ Nov. 3, 1857"
Gallery Label: 
This chair is made of relic wood from the house at 3 Cherry Street in lower Manhattan where George Washington lived while serving as President of the United States, between April of 1789 and February of the following year. The hallowed mansion was demolished in May of 1856 to make way for an impressive cast iron building housing a book-publishing company. Timber from the mansion was rescued by New York real estate investor Benjamin R. Winthrop, who commissioned the chair from a local craftsman. The chair was presented to the N-YHS in 1857 for the use of the President of the Society. The donor also presented a similar chair to the Massachusetts Historical Society.
Date Begin: 
0
Date End: 
1857
eMuseum Object ID: 
26104
Due to ongoing research, information about this object is subject to change.

Dish: footed compote with cover

Collections: 
Classification: 
Is owned by NYHS: 
Yes
Highlight: 
Display this item in the highlights
Date: 
1825-1845
Medium: 
Glass
Dimensions: 
Overall: 10 x 8 in. ( 25.4 x 20.3 cm )
Description: 
Colorless cut lead glass compote with cover; hemispherical bowl cut with strawberry diamonds, with wide horizontal scalloped rim cut with strawberry diamonds and fans, on faceted pedestal stem with central knop cut with diagonal ribs, on flat scalloped base cut underneath with rays radiating from center; domed cover cut with strawberry diamonds, with large mushroom-shaped finial cut with strawberry diamonds on short stem with central knop cut with diagonal ribs.
Credit Line: 
Gift of Lena Cadwalader Evans
Object Number: 
1936.693ab
Gallery Label: 
According to the accession records, this object belonged to either Abigail Cornell (1766-1854), who married Israel Corse in 1810, or to Angeline Burr, wife of Morris Ketchum (1796-1880).
Bibliography: 
Denker, Ellen Paul. "Collector' legacies." The Magazine Antiques 167 (2005): 176-180.
Date Begin: 
0
Date End: 
1845
eMuseum Object ID: 
25153
Due to ongoing research, information about this object is subject to change.

Decanter and stopper

Collections: 
Classification: 
Date: 
1823-1845
Medium: 
Glass
Dimensions: 
Overall: 8 3/4 x 3 in. ( 22.2 x 7.6 cm )
Description: 
Colorless cut lead glass decanter with stopper; compressed mallet-shaped body with cylindrical neck with three applied rings and wide flared lip; body cut with strawberry diamonds, rings cut with facets, lip cut with scallops, bottom cut with rays; mushroom-form stopper with knop below cut with rays and facets.
Credit Line: 
Gift of Lena Cadwalader Evans
Object Number: 
1936.696ab
Gallery Label: 
According to the accession records, this object belonged to either Abigail Cornell (1766-1854) who married Israel Corse in 1810, or to Angeline Burr, wife of Morris Ketchum (1796-1880).
Bibliography: 
Denker, Ellen Paul. "Collector' legacies." The Magazine Antiques 167 (2005): 176-180.
Date Begin: 
0
Date End: 
1845
eMuseum Object ID: 
24368
Due to ongoing research, information about this object is subject to change.

Physician's saddlebags w/bottles & bundles

Collections: 
Classification: 
Date: 
1800-1850
Medium: 
Leather, metal, glass, paper
Dimensions: 
Overall: 7 1/2 x 9 1/2 x 9 in. ( 19 x 24.1 x 22.9 cm )
Description: 
Leather saddlebags with two buckled pouches connected by leather strap; one pouch with ten dividers containing four glass vials and one bundle wrapped in paper and twine; other pouch undivided. 35 additional medicine vials and bundles, stored separately.
Credit Line: 
Gift of Mrs. E.L. Woolf
Object Number: 
1954.11
Gallery Label: 
According to accession records, these saddlebags belonged to Dr. Myron Orton (1784-1873) of Niagara County, New York, the donor's great-grandfather. Dr. Orton used them on the Niagara frontier in 1811, while in the local militia in the War of 1812, and later at Pekin (Sanborn), Niagara County.
Date Begin: 
0
Date End: 
1850
eMuseum Object ID: 
23515
Due to ongoing research, information about this object is subject to change.

French press

Classification: 
Collections: 
Date: 
1812-1819
Medium: 
Mahogany, mahogany veneer; yellow poplar, white pine, brass, plaster
Dimensions: 
Overall: 101 3/4 x 63 x 25 3/4 in. ( 258.4 x 160 x 65.4 cm )
Description: 
French press or wardrobe, the top crowned by a broken pediment centering a classical painted plaster bust (of a Roman Magistrate?) on a fluted plinth. Replaced die-stamped brasss border on top molding of plinth. The underside of the cornice is reeded. The case with 2 cupboard doors, each having two panels with brass cove molding; corininthian columns at side; cast brass paw feet in front with carved knees.
Credit Line: 
Gift of Mrs. William Hyde Wheeler
Object Number: 
1943.368
Marks: 
inscribed: under plaster bust, in script: "H. Lannuier/ New York"
Gallery Label: 
Cabinetmaker Charles-Honoré Lannuier trained in Paris before relocating to New York in 1803. From 1804 until his death in 1819, he operated a shop at 60 Broad Street, among the city's thriving manufacturing and financial districts. This French press or wardrobe belonged to Garret Byvanck Abeel (1768-1820), a New York iron and hardware merchant, and his wife, Catherine Manchalk (d. 1832), who were married in 1794.
Provenance: 
Garret Byvanck Abeel (1768-1820) and his wife, Catherine Manchalk (d. 1832), who were married in 1794; to their son John Howard Abeel (1815-1896), who married Catherine Emeline Strobell; she was the grandfather of Mrs. William Hyde Wheeler, the donor.
Date Begin: 
0
Date End: 
1819
eMuseum Object ID: 
23065
Due to ongoing research, information about this object is subject to change.

The Solitary Oak (The Old Oak)

Classification: 
Date: 
1844
Medium: 
Oil on canvas (relined)
Dimensions: 
Overall: 36 x 48 in. ( 91.4 x 121.9 cm ) Framed: 4 1/2 x 46 3/4 x 58 3/4 in. (11.4 x 118.7 x 149.2 cm)
Credit Line: 
Gift of The New-York Gallery of the Fine Arts
Object Number: 
1858.75
Gallery Label: 
Durand's original title for this painting was The Solitary Oak with the Old oak listed as a later designation.
Bibliography: 
"National Academy of Design," The New York Herald, April 27, 1844, p.1, col. 6. Deming, Henry C., and MacKay, James, eds., The New World, New York: Vol. VIII, No. 18, May 4, 1844, p. 562, col. 1. "National Academy of Design," The Anglo American, Vol. III, No. 5, May 25, 1844, pp. 116-7. Tuckerman, Henry T., Book of the Artists, American Artist Life, Comprising Biographical and Critical Sketches of American Artists: Preceded by an Historical Account of the Rise and Progress of Art in America, New York: P. Putnam & Son, 1867, p. 621. "Pictures by Durand," The New York Times, April 26, 1903, p. 34. Richardson, E. P., Painting in America: The Story of 450 Years, New York: Thomas Y. Crowell Company, 1956, p. 170. Pierson Jr., William H., and Davidson, Martha, eds., Arts of the United States: A Pictorial Survey, New York: McGraw-Hill Book Company, Inc., 1960, p. 304. Novak, Barbara, "Asher B. Durand and European Art," The Art Journal, Vol. XXI, Summer 1962, pp. 250-2. Green, Samuel M., American Art: A Historical Survey, New York: The Ronald Press Company, 1966, p. 252. Lawall, David B., Asher Brown Durand: His Art and Art Theory in Relation to his Times, Submitted to Princeton University in Partial Fulfillment of the Requirements for the Degree of Doctor of Philosophy, March 1966, pp. 113, 359, Fig. 133. Caldwell, John S., Asher B. Durand's Travels in Europe, 1840-1841 and their Role in his Artistic Development, Submitted in partial fulfillment of the requirements for the degree of Master of Arts, Hunter College, The City University of New York, 1973, pp. 14-5, 23-4, 28-9, 35. Lawall, David B., Asher B. Durand: A Documentary Catalogue of the Narrative and Landscape Paintings, New York & London, Garland Publishing, Inc., 1978, pp. 41-3. Koke, Richard J., American Landscape and Genre Paintings in the New York Historical Society, Vol. I, New York: The New-York Historical Society, 1982, pp. 318-21. Mann, Maybelle, "The New-York Gallery of Fine Arts: 'A Source of Refinement,'" American Art Journal, Vol. XI, January 1979, p. 83-4. Caldwell, John and Roque, Oswaldo Rodriguez, American Paintings in the Metropolitan Museum of Art, Vol. I, A Catalogue of Works by Artists Born by 1815, New York: The Metropolitan Museum of Art, 1994, pp. 423-4. Georgi, Karen L., Asher B. Durand's American Landscapes and the Nature of Representation, Submitted in partial fulfillment of the requirements for the degree of Doctor of Philosophy, 2000, pp. 17-8, 122-57. New-York Historical Society, Perspectives on the Collections of The New-York Historical Society, New York: The New-York Historical Society, 2000, pp. 32-3. Bedell, Rebecca, The Anatomy of Nature: Geology & American Landscape Painting, 1835-1875, Princeton: Princeton University Press, 2001, pp. 55, 160. Vedder, Lee A., "Heeding the Call of Nature: Asher Brown Durand's Communion with the American Landscape," The New-York Journal of American History, New York: New-York Historical Society, Vol. LXV, No. 4, Fall 2004, pp. 34-5, 45. Ferber, Linda S., ed., "Asher B. Durand, American Landscape Painter," Kindred Spirits Asher B. Durand and the American Landscape, Brooklyn Museum, 2007, pp. 143, 201, 214, 217. Vedder, Lee A. "Nineteenth-century American paintings." The Magazine Antiques 167 (2005): 146-155.
Date Begin: 
0
Date End: 
1844
eMuseum Object ID: 
22948
Due to ongoing research, information about this object is subject to change.

Doll: girl w/fur trimmed coat and velvet hat on stand

Classification: 
Collections: 
Date: 
ca. 1893
Medium: 
Ceramic, composition, textile, leather, fur, hair, rhinestones, feathers, paint
Dimensions: 
Overall: 18 x 12 x 4 in. ( 45.7 x 30.5 x 10.2 cm )
Description: 
Doll with bisque socket head, blond wig glued to pate, sleeping eyes, open mouth, and pink tinted cheeks; composition body with ball and socket joints at shoulders, elbows, hips, and knees, and swivel hands with separate fingers; yellow satin dress over pink lace-trimmed petticoat, with yellow stockings and white leather boots with yellow laces, light brown fur-trimmed coat with yellow satin lining, fur muff, leather gloves, and cap lined with purple velvet and trimmed with braid, rhinestones, and feathers.
Credit Line: 
Gift of Mrs. Katharine Prentis Murphy
Object Number: 
1961.31
Marks: 
impressed: on back of head: "109 / H / 1"
Gallery Label: 
According to a document found in the curatorial files, this doll was dressed by Mrs. Grover Cleveland for sale at the Columbian Exposition in remnants from the dress she wore to her husband's inauguration. The doll was given to Elizabeth Levy, of New York City, in 1893 or 1894, and remained in her family until its acquisition by Katharine Prentis Murphy in 1961.
Bibliography: 
Weinstein, Amy A. “Children’s toys.” The Magazine Antiques, Vol. 167, no.1, January 2005, p.188-193.
Date Begin: 
0
Date End: 
1893
eMuseum Object ID: 
22577
Due to ongoing research, information about this object is subject to change.

Fire Chief Harry Howard

Classification: 
Date: 
ca. 1857
Medium: 
Polychrome painted and carved wood
Dimensions: 
Overall: 100 x 66 x 44 in. ( 254 x 167.6 x 111.8 cm )
Description: 
Polychrome carved wooden sculpture of male figure in fireman's uniform and hat; left arm raised with finger pointed, right hand holding holds speaking horn; on square pedestal. The sculpture is fashioned from primarily one piece of wood with additions in multiple pieces for the arms, horn, left foot, drapes and pockets of the coat, helmet, medallion, and base. The wood has been carved and painted, there are multiple layers (5-6) of paint, and a coating layer that covers portions of the sculpture.
Credit Line: 
Purchased from Elie Nadelman Conservation was made possible with the generous support of John S. Tamagni in honor of his grandfather Arthur Searle, NYFD, 1886-1909
Object Number: 
1937.328
Gallery Label: 
This imposing figure represents Harry Howard (1822-1896), the Chief Engineer of New York City's Volunteer Fire Department from 1857 to 1860. The statue originally stood on the roof of the building erected for the Harry Howard Hose Company at 115 Christopher Street around 1853. Upon the disbanding of the company in 1865, the statue was presented to the Neptune Engine Company No. 2 of Paterson, New Jersey, and later passed into the possession of the Protection Engine Company No. 5 and the Paterson Exempt Firemen's Assocation. It was acquired by folk art collector Elie Nadelman in 1936.
Provenance: 
Harry Howard Hose Company, 115 Christopher Street, ca. 1853-1865; Neptune Engine Company No. 2, Paterson, New Jersey; Protection Engine Company No. 5, Paterson, New Jersey; Paterson Exempt Firemen's Assocation, Paterson, New Jersey; The Folk Art Collection of Elie Nadelman, 1936; purchased by N-YHS 1937.
Date Begin: 
0
Date End: 
1857
eMuseum Object ID: 
22318
Due to ongoing research, information about this object is subject to change.

Pages

Subscribe to RSS - Collection Highlights
Creative: Tronvig Group