William Pitt, the Elder, First Earl of Chatham (1708-1778)
Overall: 71 x 29 x 29 in. ( 180.3 x 73.7 x 73.7 cm )
plaque: bronze plaque: "MARBLE STATUE OF WILLIAM PITT (LORD CHATHAM)/ THIS STATUE WAS ERECTED BY THE COLONY OF NEW YORK SEPTEMBER 7, 1770 AT THE INTERSECTION OF WALL AND WILLIAM STREETS IT WAS MUTILATED BY THE BRITISH SOLDIERS SOON AFTER THEIR OCCUPATION
This statue of William Pitt was commissioned by the colonists of New York to commemorate the English statesman who had lobbied Parliament successfully on their behalf for the repeal of the Stamp Act. The statue stood at the intersection of Wall and William Streets. After the British took possession of New York City in the fall of 1776, they decapitated the friend of the colonists and broke off his arms. The statue was removed from Wall Street in 1788.
Gift of Mr. Simon F. Mackie
Due to ongoing research, information about this object is subject to change.