William C. Rhinelander
Oil on linen
Overall: 44 5/8 x 36 1/8 in. ( 113.3 x 91.8 cm )
signature: lower right: "Robert Hinkley[sic?]"
William C. Rhinelander (1790-1878) was the son William Rhinelander, original owner of Rhinelander Sugar House, headquarters of the family's business. This warehouse, which was built in 1763, stood at the corner of Rose and Duane Streets until its demolition in 1892. During the Revolution it was used by the British as a prison. The subject's wife, Mary Rogers Rhinelander, was the daugther of John Rogers, a prominent New York City landowner. Mr. and Mrs. Rhinelander were ancestors of the donor.
Gift of Mrs. Robert M. Donaldson
Due to ongoing research, information about this object is subject to change.